Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » When a woman complains that she is being victimized/exploited,shouldn't she gather strength to complain and demand it to stop immediately?

When a woman complains that she is being victimized/exploited,shouldn't she gather strength to complain and demand it to stop immediately?

Posted - October 26, 2017

Responses

Many of us learn very early on that the repercussions of "complaining" are often worse than enduring the abuse and keeping our mouths shut.

Pretty f'd up, but it is the world we live in. :(
      October 29, 2017 10:14 AM MDT

I am very optimistic that, as far as this problem goes, the world is changing for the better. 
      October 29, 2017 10:19 AM MDT

I agree, but I think the change is coming at an incredibly slow place.

I think this often starts when we are children, Harry. Earlier and more education of children will have the biggest impact, I think. Even then, imagine this scenario: Child is being abused by parent/guardian. Child reports abuse and is sent to foster care where child endures WORSE abuse. Child learns to keep their mouth shut or even more bad things happen. :(

October 29, 2017 10:31 AM MDT

Agree completely Savvy.
      October 29, 2017 10:40 AM MDT

Well now most police forces have a wooden separation policy and most larger companies have a complaint review board.  But still just by making complaints to others we show we are unable to handle the situation and we are making trouble for the company.  You know when it comes down to it whoever is more valuable to the company wins!   I'm sympathetic but these are the same things that were being talked about and consciousness raised about 30 years ago. People have not moved on enough for me - they still fall into the same pitfalls they were years ago. If we can gather strength we need to learn how to deal with it ourselves and take our work seriously enough we are able to deflect and discourage it each in our own ways. I found ways years ago and I try to help others but maybe they too have to find their own ways.  They ignore my advice and go off making themselves appear unable to deal with life.  I just see the way men and women are and interact what we are talking about will always be an issue somewhat if not more.  Yes I have been victimized but I choose not to think of myself as a victim but as someone but as someone who has learned how to handle such situations in a way that not only stops them but causes me to be more respected by the men some of whom would have been potential abusers.
      October 29, 2017 7:11 PM MDT

"....But still just by making complaints to others we show we are unable to handle the situation and we are making trouble for the company."

"...If we can gather strength we need to learn how to deal with it ourselves and take our work seriously enough we are able to deflect and discourage it each in our own ways."

Office girl, I'm not saying that either of these statements aren't true, but this is victim blaming and it perpetuates the abuse and excuse culture.

October 30, 2017 7:52 AM MDT