Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » History » Do the (allegedly) adequate food and housing conditions for the slaves who helped build the White House justify their slavery? Bill O'Reilly seems to think so. How about you?

Do the (allegedly) adequate food and housing conditions for the slaves who helped build the White House justify their slavery? Bill O'Reilly seems to think so. How about you?

If not, why even bring it up?

Posted - July 27, 2016

Responses

:)

July 27, 2016 10:48 PM MDT

Sure, he'd "do it live!"....;-D..

Warning: Video contains loud profanity and is NSFW

July 27, 2016 10:51 PM MDT

Nothing justifies slavery, what did I miss, can you tell me how Bill put his foot in his mouth?

July 28, 2016 5:16 AM MDT

• The only reason I can think of is to attempt to moderate the tone or inference of a previously stated point.  I didn't see Michelle Obama's speech so have no idea how the fact of slave involvement in the building of (symbolically) the most important building in the US was presented.

I'd be interested in seeing what evidence can be produced that confirms the 'fed and housed' thing.  Slave records are rather sparse in some areas and I would guess that the main records are of payments to slave owners for the work of their 'assets'.  One could extrapolate from that of course, but it's a rather limited primary source.

I could be wrong though - I haven't checked in any way.  Of course, were it to be true that doesn't alter the basic facts of slavery.  If what O'Reilly said is evidential fact one can ask why it was included.  I happen to like the fact it (assuming it's true) was included but I'm obsessed with detail like this for purely historical purposes.

However, any attempt to use this information as a way of 'gentling' the concept of slavery in history is really very silly.  One can't get away from the fact that slaves have always been treated differently for all sorts of reasons.  None of this 'good' treatment alters the single unavoidable fact that they are not free.  As a result 'good' treatment is not really 'good', just not as bad as that imposed on others.

July 28, 2016 7:20 AM MDT

• Lol! He's an azz.

July 28, 2016 7:39 AM MDT

• *like*

July 28, 2016 7:41 AM MDT

1. Actually, Bill O'Reily was wrong.
    2. On "Democracy Now" this morning, Amy Goodman said, according to primary sources: writing dated Nov. 28, 1800, by Abigail Adams, "the slaves working at the White House, were half fed and destitute of clothing".
    3. Some people believed O'Reily was trying to justify slavery. And that he misunderstood Michelle Obama's message of the story in her speech at the DNC.
      July 28, 2016 8:01 AM MDT

•   July 28, 2016 8:35 AM MDT

He was not justifing slavery.  He was answering the questions that people posed about the if Mrs. Obama was correct in saying the White House was built by slaves.  

"As we mentioned Talking Points memo, Michelle Obama referenced slaves building the White House in referring to the evolution of America in a positive way.  It was a positive comment.  The history behind her remark is fascinating.  George Washington selected the site in 1791, and as president laid the cornerstone in 1792.  Washington was then running the country out of Philadelphia.  Slaves did participate in the construction of the White House.  Records show about 400 payments made to slave masters between 1795 and 1801.  In addition, free blacks, whites, and immigrants also worked on the massive building.  There were no illegal immigrants at that time.  If you could make it here, you could stay here.  In 1800, President John Adams took up residence in what was then called the executive mansion.  It was only later on they named it the White House.  But Adams was in there with Abigail and they were still hammering nails.  The construction was still going on.  Slaves that worked there were well fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government, which stopped hiring slave labor in 1802.  However, the Feds did not forbid subcontractors from using slave labor.  So Michelle Obama is essentially correct in citing slaves as builders of the White House but there were others working as well.”

July 28, 2016 8:37 AM MDT

Why yes, Old School.   I mean if it were not for the Egyptian slaves we would not have those Pyramids to enjoy.    Let's put this in perspective.  Those silly slaves are dead.  We still enjoy those Pyramids long after their ruined lives are over.  Priorities. 

I mean the President needs a nice house.   You cannot deny him a nice home.  He is the President.  He is the most important person in the whole country.   What's the cost of a few lives of stupid black slaves here and there compared to a fine house that still stands to this day?  

Surely a genius like Bill knows the importance of an edifice that lasts longer than a life.  Especially since it is not HIS life.    And like Barbra Bush said when the blacks and poor lost their homes in Katrina.  "Many of them are much better off now, than they were before", referring to their having to camp out in an arena for weeks.  

So, you see, those slaves, got three hots and a cot.  Why would we even feel bad about that?   Many of them were better off than getting whipped and starved in the comfort of their own slave quarters at home.    I mean home here in America, land of the mostly free, not Africa, where they were kidnapped from. 

July 28, 2016 9:21 AM MDT

What a racist thing to say.

July 28, 2016 10:58 AM MDT

•   July 28, 2016 11:05 AM MDT

OLD SCHOOL

I thought I'd use the tactics of the Bible Thumpers here.  You know how they post millions of sites because they don't know how to answer?  Well, it works best if you do it with people who do not listen to anything but themselves. 

I thought maybe if I repeat this enough, someone like AL or Tiberius or My 2 Cents or Delivering the B.S. might heed my message I am delivering to you.    

You = Pearly  Them = Swiney

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

New Living Translation
    "Don't waste what is holy on people who are unholy. Don't throw your pearls to pigs! They will trample the pearls, then turn and attack you.

English Standard Version
    “Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you.

Berean Study Bible
    Do not give dogs what is holy; do not throw your pearls before swine. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.

Berean Literal Bible
    Do not give that which is holy to the dogs, nor cast your pearls before the pigs, lest they shall trample upon them with their feet, and having turned, tear you to pieces.

New American Standard Bible
    "Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

King James Bible
    Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
    Don't give what is holy to dogs or toss your pearls before pigs, or they will trample them with their feet, turn, and tear you to pieces.

International Standard Version
    "Never give what is holy to dogs or throw your pearls before pigs. Otherwise, they will trample them with their feet and then turn around and attack you."

NET Bible
    Do not give what is holy to dogs or throw your pearls before pigs; otherwise they will trample them under their feet and turn around and tear you to pieces.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
    Do not give a sacrifice to dogs; neither throw your pearls before wild boars, lest they trample them with their feet, and return to run you through.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
    "Don't give what is holy to dogs or throw your pearls to pigs. Otherwise, they will trample them and then tear you to pieces.

I doubt if this will aid your plight of trying to dent their thick skulls, but I feel better now. 

July 28, 2016 11:34 AM MDT

Agreed, but I do think that if an exception could be made, it might be kind of cool to see a racist, anti-Semitic tool like Al be a slave.

July 28, 2016 11:41 AM MDT

Atone for your cannibalism, AL/Troll

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      July 28, 2016 11:41 AM MDT

July 28, 2016 12:46 PM MDT

Of course he wouldn't.

July 28, 2016 12:54 PM MDT