Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What would you do if all the folks upon whom you depend/rely disappeared? Could you make it alone on your own? Would you panic/be calm?

What would you do if all the folks upon whom you depend/rely disappeared? Could you make it alone on your own? Would you panic/be calm?

Posted - October 29, 2017

Responses

I am very independent.  I am calm.  I have conditioned myself to be alone. To count on myself to get by.  My mother, age 87, has done the same.  Incidentally, she has been dropped from a term 'in hospice' to ' regular' health after a long illness. You gotta be tough to do that. 
      October 29, 2017 6:29 AM MDT

Wow! I'm glad to hear it bh. At her age bouncing back from the edge like that can't have been easy. I've always been a loner...square peg. Not by choice but by circumstancs. I was a painfully shy child who was a very good student so I skipped a few grades which further distanced me from kids my own age. They though I was very weird and I guess I still am. I prefer learning new things and asking questions to almost anything else! It has come in handy through the years. Having Jim in my life is great and wonderful. But I survived alone on my own for 20 years before I met him. My son was grown and out on his own. I'm still here. I don't take all the credit for it by any means. I was really lucky along the way and had the benefit of helping hands reach out to me when I needed them. I didn't ask. They were always offered! Thank you for your reply bh! :)
      October 29, 2017 6:48 AM MDT

A lot of people have helped mom along the way, including my late uncle who loaned her the money to buy a car and make the daily drive (80 miles) to college when father left the family with nothing back in '66. Mom became a sort of 'executive secretary' and managed to get by, purchasing a home for her family AND even a second income producing rental. Oh. I forgot to mention ---- she has a genius I.Q., too.
      October 29, 2017 7:03 AM MDT

Wow! That's something for sure bh. So she had super intelligence to help her in her fight. That's great! Thank you for the added info. I think she is certainly an admirable woman. I know you are very proud of her!  :)
      October 29, 2017 7:05 AM MDT

I think so. Guess I have made it on my own a good part of my life. No way could I replace my husband and almost every day I have to pinch myself to realize we are really together.  But I think I would be capable of developing other good relationships with another or others.  I depend on my company but the skills I have learned there are certainly transferable and I know how to be pleasant with people.  But whatever happens I know I am already financially secure which is a great comfort.  No I tend to be calm and not given to panic. 
      October 29, 2017 7:26 AM MDT

i would just ask god for help
      October 29, 2017 3:47 PM MDT