Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Didja ever participate in WHITE FLIGHT? Moving so your kids wouldn't be bussed to "other" neighborhoods? Was it the best thing you ever did?

Didja ever participate in WHITE FLIGHT? Moving so your kids wouldn't be bussed to "other" neighborhoods? Was it the best thing you ever did?

Posted - October 30, 2017

Responses

No we went to the school we lived by....did I look into schools before I moved some where? Yes of course.
      October 30, 2017 5:44 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply m2c.
      November 2, 2017 3:13 AM MDT

We kept our kids at home and educated them there all the way to high school graduation. Must have been good as they turned out to be just fine.
      October 30, 2017 6:02 AM MDT

I'm not white. 

October 30, 2017 10:19 AM MDT

I don't have kids, but it always seemed to me that busing was stupid and bad for the environment and bad for kids who wouldn't be going to school with, and making friends with, kids in their own neighborhood and instead were spending extra time commuting. I wouldn't have wanted kids bused to a 'better' neighborhood either. Busing clearly didn't accomplish what is was supposed to do and yet, at least in my city, it continues.
      October 30, 2017 10:26 AM MDT

• White Flight? There was never any need too. I live in the second largest city in my state and I grew up (in the 1950's) with blacks Hispanics, orientals, midgets, you name it. We all went to the same schools, walked to school together, and rode the same buses. I don't recall of ever having a problem with racial turmoil and bigotry in my neighborhood. When mom, dad, and us four kids moved to the country, we had no problems there either. I take that back, I did have problems on occasion. When I over slept on Saturday morning and missed my favorite cartoon show or my Cornflakes got soggy.
      October 30, 2017 1:00 PM MDT

no cause ive never had kids
      October 30, 2017 4:42 PM MDT

No, my school and neighborhood was pretty well mixed in 4th -6th grade and everyone got along. With the busing in 7th and 8th grade, things change. As a small, skinny, neglected, latch key white kid, I would have been way better off if my dad would have moved. Probably a school day didn't go by without someone demanding something like 'Give me a quarter white boy'. I was chased a lot and seen fights almost everyday. If there was a white person involved, there were usually 5-10 people kicking him while laying on the floor. By best friend was a large black boy on the basket ball team that also lived next door. He helped me a few times before or after school but we didn't have any classes together. I think back then that a lot of white parents were teaching tolerance and how wrong it was for blacks to be treated the way they used to treat them while a lot of black parents were teaching their kids that they had to stand up for themselves against the racist white people. My experience anyway in Pleasant Grove in Dallas Tx. I moved in with my mom and stepdad in Irving Tx in 9th grade. I don't think there were more than 20 black kids in the school. Racism was non-existent and all the black kids that I knew were nice and popular.
      November 1, 2017 7:42 AM MDT

So before busing things were "normal" and pleasant  in your neighborhood. Geez i'm so sorry you had that experience tex. Racism works both ways of course. I remember at that time we lived in Northridge, California and up above us in the hills were the really ritzy homes of the wealthy. My son played in Little League and of course the kids of the wealthy played on the teams too and so we got to be "friendly" with some of the parents. One set shocked me one day. Out of the blue the mom told me they were moving because busing was on the horizon and she didn't want her son to be bused OR have to experience kids who were bused in from other neighborhoods. She was very matter-of-fact about. As if it were a horror to be avoided at all costs. Now that you shared your personal experience I have a little better understanding of it. I guess. Thank you for your reply tex. Wish your memories did not have to include those!  :(
      November 2, 2017 3:12 AM MDT