Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Who decides and why? Who said that pink is for girls and blue is for boys and why do so many folks go along with it? Anyone know?

Who decides and why? Who said that pink is for girls and blue is for boys and why do so many folks go along with it? Anyone know?

Posted - October 31, 2017

Responses

Apparently magazines and retailers decide, just like most fashion trends. Pink wasn't always for girls. According to a  Ladies' Home Journal article in 1918: The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.
      October 31, 2017 4:23 AM MDT

Good question Rosie!  That was in place when I grew up in the 50s and 60s and I hated pink!  Then as now I preferred darker colors - blacks and brown and dark reds and greens. 

Wonder if that is not more a statement about what gender roles were supposed to be. Pink is more diffused, blue more opaque and solid.  But looking where they occur naturally - the sky is blue, and pink is the color of our fleshy insides!

Don't know anything about the history of clothing but I would guess it was something that the more well to do started doing because they thought it was more hip and "European", then people wanted to be like them so they adapted it.

These days and the last maybe 15 20 years I see many young women not only wearing pink but the clothing actually says "pink" on it - tops and pants.  And at malls there are stores that sell nothing but pink clothing and items.  Maybe some girls feel more feminine wearing such clothing.  I never did when I was a teenager - I needed boys to feel more feminine. 
      October 31, 2017 5:18 AM MDT

Blue is my favorite color m'dear and always has been ever since I can remember. I like HOT PINK but wouldn't wear it. Pink is kinda ordinary to me. Nothing special. I just don't get who it is that makes these decisions or why and mostly I don't get why people follow along like lemmings accepting it. That's an interesting tag line sweetie. I dare call you sweetie because I feel EXACTLY the same as you! I prefer the company of guys for a variety of reasons not the least of which is that they aren't competitive with you. They  talk straight and say what's on their minds and there is no undercurrent of hostility with which to contend. Are there exceptions? Of course there are. I bond quickly with those gals who feel/think as I do. So if the "sweetie" offends you please tell me now or you may be facing it again in the future. I'm a tough old gal. My feelings won't be hurt. I like honesty as long as it isn't dished out with cruelty! Thank you for your reply officegirl!  :)
      October 31, 2017 5:43 AM MDT

One thing we do very much agree on.  Men are very competitive with one another but that is their state of being and they know how to form themselves together to get things accomplished and encourage one another, including us.  Girls tend to resent you if you excel at something or do something better than they do.  Like they think if you are doing well at something somehow you are taking it away from them!  As though they see it as there is only so much to go around.  Girls are good at commiseration but not at encouragement and they feel threatened  if they perceive you are not all on the same level as them.  So if we do well they say it is just luck or looks or getting breaks and not because we are doing something well.  Cause they want to think like OK I could  do the same if I had the breaks (looks, connections) she does.  Men are interesting and interested in our doing better and helpful and only resent us if we are in competition for the same job.  And even then will congratulate us because they live competitively.  But too many women , if they see you as a perceived threat, will do everything and say everything to discredit you/tear you down and will never be friends with you ever. Right, it is hostility.  All too bad and would be much better if girls were more brought up to think and to discover the thrill of positive accomplishment.

Well we have got away from pink and blue but you can call me whatever you choose to.  We have been talking on AB and now here since 2009.  Don't you remember you got me to say my real name publicly on AB because you didn't like that I was "Anonymous"? 
      October 31, 2017 6:05 AM MDT

I guess not. Unless you are the Canadian A.G., Anonymous Girl I don't. I apologize for not remembering. SIGH. Well here is an excuse or reason depending upon your attitude. In 2008  I went through chemo for six months. I was told a side effect could be loss of memory. Though that predates the 2009 of which you speak  I do not remember some things that happened in the past. I suppose loss of memory due to chemo is a gift that keeps on giving. I do remember we had one hundred zillion "Anonymous" members on Answerbag and I never knew which  Anonymous I was talking to which is a bit annoying. Probably at least a couple dozen were "friends" and I didn't have a clue which was which. I have always been Rosie G. G is the first letter of my surname. I have never switched about for any reason. I'd rather just show up as me everywhere I go and let the chips fall where they may. I do apologize though because identity is all we have in life. Especially on an internet social site where you will probably never meet anyone...at least if you do it is very rare. Thanks for the clarification. In 2009 politics weren't ruling my life. I was very happy Obama was elected. Beyond that I didn't think much about politics. No reason to. Now is a horse of a different color. We have a madman in charge and every day I wake up wondering if we are at war. Never happened before. New sensation. Not liking it much!  :( This post was edited by RosieG at October 31, 2017 6:53 AM MDT
      October 31, 2017 6:52 AM MDT

• In my eyes, blue wins, though both sets of girls look very pretty in their dresses.  

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 2, 2017 7:50 AM MDT
      October 31, 2017 6:23 AM MDT

not sure who decided that
      October 31, 2017 5:51 PM MDT