Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » We know smoking tobacco is harmful to the lungs. What about smoking marijuana? Is that as potentially injurious as tobacco?

We know smoking tobacco is harmful to the lungs. What about smoking marijuana? Is that as potentially injurious as tobacco?

Posted - October 31, 2017

Responses

Marijuana smoke does contain some of the harmful carcinogens also found in tobacco smoke, like hydrogen cyanide and formaldehyde. However, no-one is yet known to have died from smoking marijuana (excepting accidents caused by impaired judgement).
      October 31, 2017 4:39 AM MDT

Only because most who smoke marijuana also smoke cigarettes so if the person gets cancer they blame the cigarettes rather than the pot.
      October 31, 2017 4:53 AM MDT

That sounds like my sister. When she smokes weed she starts coughing and hacking, then will light up a cig and hack some more. I am not judging her as I smoke tobacco. (Weed 2-3 times a year.) Oh, I forgot to mention...she is on oxygen and can't walk fifty feet. Weed, tobacco or a combination of both?
      October 31, 2017 8:02 AM MDT

Both. They both have the carcinogens in them.
    With everything CA bans for  causing cancer, it is strange that pot is not banned.   This post was edited by my2cents at October 31, 2017 9:55 AM MDT
      October 31, 2017 8:38 AM MDT

So  if all you've ever smoked is marijuana chances are you won't die of lung cancer then Sbf? I tried a cigarette once when I was 10. Never again. It cured me.  Also many decades ago I did puff a few times on a friend's marijuana stick or joint or whatever you call it but I remember being absolutely terrified of what it would do to me so after 3-4 puffs I handed it back to him. I don't recall feeling anything but fear! Do you feel anything with the first puff  or does it take smoking it a lot longer to feel relaxed or whatever you feel? If you have smoked it is the "high" comparable to alcohol? Is the reaction/sensation similar? Thank you for your reply.
      October 31, 2017 5:51 AM MDT

I've tried it a couple times. Does nothing for me - I got "body whacked", my head stayed straight while my body got stoned. Like being dumped up to my neck in concrete, not a sensation I enjoyed, so I never really got into it. Cigarettes I quit years ago. I enjoy a beer or two now and again, but I can live without it - my only real vice is coffee. Deny me coffee and you've got trouble.
      October 31, 2017 5:57 AM MDT

I'll smoke weed 2-3 times a year to remind myself why I don't. It totally incapacitates me.
      October 31, 2017 8:05 AM MDT

i think it is
      October 31, 2017 5:44 PM MDT