Active Now

my2cents
Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Which TV series that are long gone would you LOVE to have return to TV because you LOVED them so? Why?

Which TV series that are long gone would you LOVE to have return to TV because you LOVED them so? Why?

Posted - November 4, 2017

Responses

• "The Americans" It was created in connection with the American Civil War Centennial in 1961. It was cheesy and really bad history, but it was entertaining. It was about two brothers on opposite sides of the war who kept running into each other during their service in the military.
      November 4, 2017 7:58 AM MDT

i liked the brady bunch
      November 4, 2017 4:55 PM MDT

Sons of Anarchy. It was a show about a group of Redwood bikers. It starred Ron Perlman until he got shot by Jax. The creator is working on another biker show, but I doubt it will be as good. 
      November 4, 2017 8:19 PM MDT

I have heard of it righty but never saw the show. You never can tell. Maybe the new show will be even better although I do agree that the original concept of any show is always better than knockoffs. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      November 5, 2017 1:41 AM MST

• gossip girl
      November 4, 2017 8:20 PM MDT

I never saw that  show a m b e r. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      November 5, 2017 1:38 AM MST

I would say Sliders.  and Journeyman project they were good shows that were terminated early.  I kind of wish there were more episodes of both these shows.
      November 4, 2017 8:33 PM MDT

I LOVED Sliders! There was also a show with the main character instantly going from place to place...beyond his control(somewhat like Sliders through there were 3 of them in Sliders as I recall). It was due to some scientific experiment that went haywire. I think he was a physicist in the series.  The co-star had been a child actor (Dean Stockwell).  Also Northern Exposure which at times got very mysterious/mystical/inexplicably spooky. Fantasy Island too. Thank you for your reply Ut and Happy Sunday to thee! :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 5, 2017 1:39 AM MST
      November 5, 2017 1:37 AM MST

With cable, watching shows from 20 plus years ago is easily done---ER, Hill Street Blues, even The Six Million Dollar Man, Twilight Zone.  I enjoyed them all at the time---and for varying lengths of time.   

But I've changed too much in 20+ years to enjoy them the way I did then.

November 4, 2017 8:40 PM MDT

I watched all those shows as well. I haven't changed with regard to what I like at all tom. Not one bit. Not even a smidge! Different strokes! Where do you find ER, Hill Street Blues? Every year there is a Twilight Zone Marathon...usually on the 4th of July. I'd LOVE to see Northern Exposure Again. I go to TVland for a fix back to those days and watch Golden Girls and The Andy Griffith Show when Ron Howard was 6! I liked Roseanne then and still do. I like those shows maybe more now than I did at the time because at the time I didn't realize how relatively sane that world was and could never have imagined living in the world we do today..especially the world of the good old USA. But I have not seen the shows you mention except for Twilight Zone. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      November 5, 2017 1:25 AM MST

AT&T cable---I don't remember the channels offhand.  I usually find them when I'm flipping channels.

Some of the change is just from being spoiled by all the technical advances including HDTV.  Also, some of the stage sets (like an alley scene on Hill Street Blues) just seems so much like a grade-school production of something.  (No, I'm not an elitist.)

But for some reason, when Joyce Davenport (Veronica Hamill) was on the screen, the background somehow seemed superfluous.  
      November 5, 2017 9:36 AM MST

She was GORGEOUS! Flawless. SIGH. We have Spectrum which used to be Time Warner. Maybe I just have to cruise around and look. Maybe we DO have it. I'll check it out. What was it that guy always said ? "Stay safe out there"? :)
      November 5, 2017 10:13 AM MST

'Let's be careful out there."
      November 5, 2017 11:05 AM MST

Right. I can remember the actor who played that role. Vividly. All these years later. Right now I'm visualizing him but I don't remember his name either in the series or in real life.. It's funny what you remember and what you "forget". Thanks for the correction tom!
      November 6, 2017 1:19 AM MST

Found that on the internet.  The first actor to use that line died of cancer.  His successor may have included "Hey" in that line.

Yes it is funny what one remembers.  There is dialog from shows and movies, and paragraphs in books that so struck me that they stick like glue in my memory.  
      November 6, 2017 10:46 AM MST

There is probably some meaning/significance tucked away in our memories about exactly WHY we remember what we do but just not accessible at the time. I know we supposedly have access to everything we have ever read or said or heard or seen. It all collects somewhere deep within us. Ah for a photographic memory! The gentleman I'm visualizing is the one who died of cancer I think. I don't remember a successor to him. So maybe I didn't watch the entire series.
      November 7, 2017 7:33 AM MST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2QApwtE8zQ

Y
    es, Michael Conrad.  The above is a video of him using the phrase.

CS Lewis once said in one of his books that "truth is made for the mind as water is made for thirst."

When I was younger, when I can across some "deathless prose" that stated so well concepts that I was attempting to articulate, I absorbed it mentally as effectively as I absorbed cool water when I was extremely hot and thirsty.

November 7, 2017 11:13 AM MST

That's the one tom! That's the guy I remember so vividly. Thank you so much for hanging in with me on this and providing the link. I really appreciate it! About the  CS Lewis quote. There are some "minds" that never get thirsty apparently since they PREFER lies to truth. I expect those are the minds that shrivel up and become petrified over time. Sad that. :( I thirst for answers. True answers and not bullsh** or "alternative truths" or anything Trump and his minions have to say. Liars offend me. They disgust me. Those who trust liars and reject truth? I shall never be able to finds words to explain them so I won't even try!  :(
      November 8, 2017 5:59 AM MST

"There are some "minds" that never get thirsty apparently since they PREFER lies to truth. I expect those are the minds that shrivel up and become petrified over time."

That is a really good statement about what happens to such people.  I am saving it.
      November 8, 2017 1:19 PM MST

Wow. That is a very nifty compliment tom for which I thank you. A mind is a terrible thing to waste it has been said. You know all those children slaughtered/massacred by guns come to my mind from time to time. Who among them night have come up with a CURE for cancer or Alzheimers? What could they have contributed to the world had they just lived and been allowed to move forward? Of course we can never know the answer to that. And we can count on the fact that there will be many more such mass slaughters/massacres in the United States and among them will be children. And we also know that after each one the gun folks will rush out to buy more guns thereby making gun store owners, gun manufacturers  and the NRA deliriously joyful. SIGH. And so it goes. :(
      November 9, 2017 3:13 AM MST

Yes, I would certainly call it a waste as well.

But on the other hand, was it a waste that Christ was crucified at a relatively young age?  Think about all the teaching and healing he could have done.

But then, we are not privy to the "big picture" now, are we?
      November 9, 2017 2:01 PM MST

There's a  saying which I will paraphrase because I'm not sure I'm quoting it accurately. "Among the saddest words of kith or kin are the words it might have been".  There is a lot I don't know and will never know. What I do know is that murdering/slaughtering people is wrong especially children. I also know that people will not be weaned away from their guns. It is like mother's milk to them and they will NEVER outgrow that infant need to suckle at mother's breast no matter how old they are. I also know that harming others...lying...cheating..stealing is not right and good and just. If that is all part of some grand plan to which I am not privy I think it sucks. Thank you for your reply tom. I will always think it sucks. God knows what I think since I chat with Him daily. I don't blame Him because it is not His doing. I simply comment on the ways of the world  and posit that people could be better and should be better but they are not. The rotten ones don't care about anyone but themselves and it seems to me for some reason the rotten ones become powerful and successful and even in a crazy mixed up jacka**y parallel universe a president. Go figger!  :( This post was edited by RosieG at November 10, 2017 2:39 AM MST
      November 10, 2017 2:37 AM MST
  • D&D

Dawson's Creek
      November 9, 2017 2:14 PM MST

I've heard of that show but never saw it. Thank you for your reply D & D and Happy Friday to thee! :)
      November 10, 2017 2:38 AM MST