Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Night is dying. Caused by artificial light at night. Energy-saving LED blue light boosts light polution worldwide. Are you aware?

Night is dying. Caused by artificial light at night. Energy-saving LED blue light boosts light polution worldwide. Are you aware?

Artificial light at night causes the body to experience it as physiological day. Co-authors of a paper discussing this are
NOAA scientist Chris Elvidge and Leibnitz Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries scientist Franz  Holder, Ph.D. The blue light found in LED's decreases melatonin in the body causing lack of sleep. Think of being in Las Vegas. It is lit 24/7 365.  So are other cities worldwide. This is a worldwide problem. Do you get enough sleep at night? Does the LED blue light on your electronics interfere with it? 

Posted - November 24, 2017

Responses

I agree and I am on a committee in my town to make recommendations toward solving that problem.  We have school and community athletic field lighting on until after 19 P.M. and it drives a lot of residents crazy but some is necessary for school programs which can't be run during the day. 
      November 24, 2017 6:44 AM MST

Awesome reply. Why? Not only are you aware of the problem but are ALREADY on a committee working on solving it it! I am impressed  as he** Most Trump supporters only show up here to attack me if I ask a Trump question of which they disapprove which is all of them. So good for you. There are more dimensions to you than there are to your like-minded Trump supporters. Thank you for your thoughtful reply og and Happy USA Black Friday to thee! :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 24, 2017 3:36 PM MST
      November 24, 2017 11:05 AM MST

Thank you Rosie don't know what that has to do with Trump.  Actually you might remember my husband and I supported more traditionally conservative candidates - Ted Cruz and Carly Fiorina - and actually only voted for Trump in preference to Clinton.  You may remember to I have criticized some of Trump's actions on this site as well as backed some of his others.  Perhaps I understand him better as I have worked among business people for many years.  But we never gave him a dime. This post was edited by officegirl at November 25, 2017 5:41 AM MST
      November 24, 2017 3:40 PM MST

I didn't know you never contributed. So how is your group going to be able to do anything officegirl? It's a problem of which I was unaware until a few days ago when I read the reports. How did you know earlier? What caused you and your colleagues to attack it? It seems like an enormous problem and I don't know where I'd start. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      November 25, 2017 2:27 AM MST

OK where we live there is a lot of interest in conservation issues and the town Conservation Commission appointed an ad hoc committee to hold hearings and get citizen input on that and other conservation issues and then to make recommendations to the Commission.  I was asked to serve on the committee I guess because of my interest in conservation and because I have spoken up at a few public town meetings in recent years.  My husband works in the conservation solution industry. 
      November 25, 2017 5:40 AM MST

Wow! Most impressed am I m'dear. Honestly until I read about that problem in an internet article a few days ago I didn't have a clue! I'm really glad there are folks like you who try to stay up with or a little ahead of the information highway. If everyone were like me we would never catch up! Thank you for your reply officegirl! Keep up the good work! :)
      November 27, 2017 4:45 AM MST

Thank you well I didn't know about that either until I began to serve on this committee. 
      November 27, 2017 4:47 AM MST

OK m'dear but how long ago was that?  I wonder how many folks there are like you and your hubby who work every day to figure out ways to make things better for others? You know folks like you don't get a lot of press. How many of your meetings are covered by journalists and reported  to others? We could use good news of this type just to show us a little light in all the darkness. I once asked a question years ago on Answerbag about having a TV station that only reported positive uplifting "feel-good" news. Everyone said it would fail. People wouldn't watch it. I would watch it but I guess others wouldn't. Would you watch officegirl? Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 27, 2017 4:54 AM MST
      November 27, 2017 4:53 AM MST

I live in a rural area. It is dark. On a clear night, you can see more stars. I saw a Leonid meteor the other night. It was blue. 
      November 24, 2017 7:08 AM MST

I sincerely hope you know how lucky you are bh! Years ago when I was a kid I remember seeing a sky like that.  In a Los Angeles suburb! I kid you not! Thank you for your reply m'dear and Happy American Black Friday! :)
      November 24, 2017 10:56 AM MST

Night is Dying. That sounds like the beginning of a poem. Are you a poet?  'Rosie the Jetpacker'. Look out, Emily Dickinson, The Jetpacker has arrived!
      November 25, 2017 6:07 AM MST

A poet? No. But by now you know I love words. I play with them. I make some up if I feel like it. I spell them however I wish because language is a living thing and not static or rigid or somber or on life support. But a poet? I like to rhyme all the time but the rhymes are not divine or sublime! Thank you for your reply bh. Oh. That "night is dying" is not mine. It was how the subject was captioned. I cannot take credit for something I did not create. :)
      November 27, 2017 5:59 AM MST

When we were little we could see millions of stars from our front lawn. My parents would point out the different colored ones as well as an arm of the Milky Way.    Some 50 years later, I'm lucky if I can see even one star (even the moon is dimmer).
    Back in the early 90's, the local water company (located over a mile away) put up a massive light to keep burglars from taking their equipment at night.  This light can be seen for miles and when it's cloudy or snowing, it literally turns night into day.   As flatlanders move up here they're determined to citify this isolated country town in the woods.  Numerous shopping centers and subdivisions have popped up where forests, hills and lakes once stood, further lightening up the night sky.

People are addicted to their phones, tablets  and laptops.  Since the blue light emitted from these devices (whether visible or not) disrupts sleep, people are becoming more and more sleep deprived - and they may not even be aware of it.  The result is more accidents (on the job , on the road or at home) and less productivity (physically or mentally).  Another side effect of sleep deprivation is a shorter life span.  We brag how our scientific achievements are increasing the human lifespan, yet at the same time our addiction to electronics is shortening it.
      November 24, 2017 10:20 AM MST

Thank you for a very thoughtful, comprehensive and informed reply shuhak. I guess it's just gonna get a lot worser. Most people are unaware or don't care or both. SIGH.  I don't know where all of this will end. Maybe when we all end which could be a lot sooner than we think! Happy USA Black Friday shuhak and really thanks for answering my question so astutely! I appreciate the thought and care you give to every answer you contribute. Just so ya know! :)
      November 24, 2017 11:12 AM MST

yes, im aware of it
      November 24, 2017 1:47 PM MST

Makes me glad I live in the country. The only light we get is the moon light. It's especially beautiful on a full moon. Sometimes I like to just drive about with the windows down to enjoy the night while I venture and look at the scenery.
      November 24, 2017 2:13 PM MST

I just pictured that in my mind's eye Patch. Lucky you for living in such a place as that and being smart enough to realize how special it is and taking advantage of it! Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      November 25, 2017 2:28 AM MST