Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Communication » The only thing "WHAT IF" questions do is test/stretch/challenge the imagination. Worthy goal or un? Why?

The only thing "WHAT IF" questions do is test/stretch/challenge the imagination. Worthy goal or un? Why?

Posted - November 25, 2017

Responses

What if = fantasy. Good stuff if you like fiction, but does not belong in the media that is traditionally trusted as the truth.
      November 25, 2017 6:57 AM MST

• Good answer - you have put the words media and truth into one sentence and questioned it at the same time by adding the word traditionally, you are "off the hook" - hehe......
      November 25, 2017 8:18 AM MST

Why did you mention the media? It is not part of the question.
      November 25, 2017 10:01 AM MST

I'm not aware of it in that context bh. I'm talking about here on Answermug. I think WHAT IF pushes the mind and imagination to places it doesn't ordinarily go. Some people dislike such questions. Why I don't know. Now TV pundits often do go off on riffs of "what if". Oh. I'm gonna ask that question. Thank you for your reply! :)
      November 26, 2017 3:34 AM MST

"What if" is the core of science. As is "I wonder how/why?" and "What is".
      November 25, 2017 7:06 AM MST

EXACTAMUNDO Ele. Thank you for your reply. :)
      November 26, 2017 3:35 AM MST

Not my favorite kind of question. 

Totally valid.  But I always get too bored with that esoteric thinking.

What if  God were one of us? 

I guess that is a fun question for a party.  I would probably leave the room until everyone finished though, quite honestly.

I am more concerned with what is going on?  Like this:  Instead of what if Donald Trump were a saint instead of a merciless evil sociopath?  Well, why bother with that when we have WHAT DID DONALD TRUMP DO NOW THAT HE IS COVERING?  Right in front of us daily.

So, what if's are for the one's on earth with no problems at all save to day dream.   We are in crisis; no ifs ands nor buts about it.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 26, 2017 7:03 AM MST
      November 25, 2017 10:07 AM MST

Thank you for your honest reply Shar. To each his/her own. My friend from Answerbag days "excon" used to hate those questions. He never answered them. I love them. It stretches the mind to explore places it doesn't usually get to ordinarily. Thanks for graphic as well.
      November 26, 2017 3:36 AM MST