Active Now

my2cents
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Despite all the advancements in technology do rescue and/or recovery teams still have the hardest time finding anything on the ocean and in

Despite all the advancements in technology do rescue and/or recovery teams still have the hardest time finding anything on the ocean and in

it? Makes you wonder what all else lies beneath the surface like lost civilizations and alien artifacts.

Posted - November 25, 2017

Responses

Wow, that's a good point. Scary proposition if you ask me. 
    (!)
      November 25, 2017 8:44 AM MST

If Trump gets re-elected he promises to drain the Oceans for us and make us all wealthy.

Vote Trump.

November 25, 2017 9:59 AM MST

(Comma after the word 're-elected' because it separates the dependent clauses of the sentence, and 'oceans' should not be capitalized.) All this makes Randy D so very sad. 

:[
      November 25, 2017 10:06 AM MST

I don't believe there'd by lost civilisations, or rather their traces, in very deep water though there are one or two places where the land has sunk enough by plate-tectonic effects for ruins to exist at shallow depths.

I would not call it "scary" though. Fascinating yes.

The seas of the world occupy a huge volume, and searching for anything in very deep water will necessarily always be difficult and time-consuming thanks simply to the huge area of the ocean's surface and it being possible to examine a small area of sea-bed at a time.

Lost people.... There is a short item in the latest edition of the British caving magazine Descent, on the discovery by cave-divers a few years ago of a human skeleton in a flooded cave in Florida. The article does not give the depth but the person either died there, or the body was placed there, thousands of years ago when the sea-level was lower, during the present Ice Age's last cold phase. The evidence for the cave being above water at the time is not just the skeleton being there, but a stalagmite that has grown over part of bones - stalagmites do not form under water.  The discoverers rightly photographed the remains then left them undisturbed for proper research, but before that could start some selfish fool removed the bones, including the skull, whose teeth might just have held enough DNA and other material to enable an approximate date to be estimated.  
      December 4, 2017 5:55 PM MST

Thank you but don't dismiss the idea of lost civilizations. Methink there are temples and pyramids as well as entire cities in ruins down there.
      December 4, 2017 9:37 PM MST

Thank you but don't dismiss the idea of lost civilizations. Methink there are temples and pyramids as well as entire cities in ruins down there.
      December 4, 2017 9:37 PM MST

Your reply's appeared twice for some reason! :-)

I don't dismiss the idea completely, but any such ruins won't be in ocean-depth waters. They would be in relatively shallow water not far from the present coasts; making finding them easier if nothing else.

A few areas of land, especially in parts of the Mediterranean, have subsided over the last few millennia, but it's possible there are many artefacts though perhaps not large ruins, buried in the sea-bed sediment in what was land but is now the sea and in warmer latitudes; from times of lower sea-level by ice-age glaciation. So at least 8000 - 10 000 years old - as with that skeleton in the cave.   

(You won't find skeletons in the sea as they dissolve fairly rapidly unless quickly covered in fine silt - but over geological time the buried ones may dissolve and be replaced by other minerals to become fossils, give or take some million years!)
      December 5, 2017 4:17 AM MST