Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Business » How much power/control/authority do agents have over their clients? Any of you have agents? Why?

How much power/control/authority do agents have over their clients? Any of you have agents? Why?

Posted - November 26, 2017

Responses

not sure since ive never had one
      November 26, 2017 2:45 PM MST

They shouldn't have any - your agent works for you, not the other way around. A band I was in had a lousy agent, we weren't getting gigs so we fired his lazy a$$.
      November 26, 2017 3:04 PM MST

Here's why I asked that question Sbf. I had asked a question about Tiger Woods and Dustin Johnson playing golf with Trump. A respondent said that sometimes it's what your agent books for you to do, or suggests/counsels/advises you to do to further your career. You fired your agent but while he WAS your agent were you obligated to accept what he told you to accept or could you turn down gigs if you wished? Thank you for your reply! :)
      November 27, 2017 2:12 AM MST

The live music scene in Adelaide is so competitive that you DON'T turn down a gig. Believe me, you don't. Unless your agent books a show where the pay is terrible - which is another reason to change your butcher, so to speak. Your agent has a job to do, that's why you pay him. If he's not performing, he doesn't get paid but neither do you.
      November 27, 2017 3:39 PM MST