Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » "There but for the Grace of God go I". Ever say that? Why?

"There but for the Grace of God go I". Ever say that? Why?

Posted - November 29, 2017

Responses

No, God's grace doesn't work that way.  It is "available" to everyone.  
      November 29, 2017 11:52 AM MST

You have NEVER seen someone in horrendous circumstances and thought that? Never? Thank you for your reply Sunshine and Happy Wednesday. If God's grace is available to everyone why don't they take advantage of it? Do they turn their backs on it? Reject? Disdain it? Inquirng minds would like to know! :)
      November 29, 2017 11:58 AM MST

No, God's grace doesn't work that way.  It is "available" to everyone.  
      November 29, 2017 11:52 AM MST

no, ive never said that but i could see why people would
      November 29, 2017 4:48 PM MST

Q ""There but for the Grace of God go I". Ever say that? Why?"

The world is full of people in circumstances you would not like to find yoursef in. For example, there are 64 million people who have been forced to flee their homesin in Syria or Iraq, once a cradle of civilisation, or Palestine among them are those given refuge not in the US which hosts just 1% of forcibly displaced people, or the UK, Canada, and Australia each of which host only 3 for every 1,000 but in already desperately poor and struggling countries like Sudan which hosts 219 displaced people for every 1,000 inhabitants. You could have been on of the 94 million around the world who lack water and sanitation services, or even one of the few homeless in the bitter winters of western countries. None of us gets to order the circumstances we're born into or the path that our lives will follow. So when there are those who are worse off than ourselves then whether we say it or not it has to be - there but for the grace of God [or good fortune] go I.
      December 3, 2017 11:35 AM MST

`I say it all the time. 

But the one that I say that is my go-to is FROM SETTING SUN TO SETTING SUN NOT MY WILL BUT THINE BE DONE.

I kind of paraphrased this to make it my own.

December 3, 2017 11:42 AM MST