Active Now

DannyPetti
Randy D
CosmicWunderkind
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Have you ever had the misfortune of having to handle a real snapper?

Have you ever had the misfortune of having to handle a real snapper?

I've had to handle snappers on multiple occasions.  Usually it's in June when they are on the move to find a good place to lay their eggs.  

This lady showed up a few years ago after a bad hail storm.  Hard to tell from the pic but she was huge.  She decided digging a hole in my driveway in front of my garage was the best place to lay her eggs.  She was very heavy and it was quite the challenge to pick her up and find a place far enough away that was safe.

Posted - November 29, 2017

Responses

Yes, i almost ran over one in the road a few months ago. It was a baby, and I grabbed it by the shell so it couldnt reach and bite me. I relocated it to the Marsh to get it out of harms way.
      November 29, 2017 8:01 PM MST

Hi CP!  Lovely to see you this evening.  

Yes, I do that all the time.  It's not just the snappers that decide to walk in the road.  I've found painted turtles, wood turtles, and box turtles.  The last two species are endangered.  During the spring and early summer I'm constantly relocating turtles.  
      November 29, 2017 8:09 PM MST

Wow, endangered? Cool. I also relocate baby sea turtles as they try to make there way to the sea from the marsh. We have turtle warning crossing signs all over the beaches roads. I love it. Nice to see you too. I havent been on much. Ever since my grandson turned 3 a week ago, hes been a whole new kind of a handful. Im getting adjusted to him all over again. Hes growing so fast, i can barely keep up. ;) 
      November 30, 2017 9:38 AM MST

Baby sea turtles!  That's very cool CP.   
    And enjoy your grandson as much as you can! ;-)
      November 30, 2017 4:01 PM MST

I will. Thanks. ;))
      November 30, 2017 5:55 PM MST