Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Are there any Jewish Saints?

Are there any Jewish Saints?

Posted - November 30, 2017

Responses

It is my understanding that the word saint is synonymous with Christian, despite what some would have us believe.  So there are Christians of Jewish descent obviously, so to answer your question, yes.
      November 30, 2017 4:30 PM MST

I suppose that at least some sects of modern day Judaism believe in Saints in one form or another? I would think perhaps Moses but haven't researched it.

[Hasidim (Chasidim, meaning “the pious”)—These are viewed as ultraorthodox. Founded by Israel ben Eliezer, known as Baʽal Shem Tov (“Master of the Good Name”), in the mid-18th century in Eastern Europe, they follow a teaching that highlights music and dance, resulting in mystic joy. Many of their beliefs, including reincarnation, are based on the Jewish mystical books known as the Kabbala (Cabala). Today they are led by rebbes (Yiddish for “rabbis”), or zaddikim, considered by their followers to be supremely righteous men or saints.]

https://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/12998-saint-and-saintliness

SAINT AND SAINTLINESS:

In Jewish tradition saintliness ("ḥasidut") is distinguished from holiness ("ḳedushah"), which is part of the Mosaic law. Saintliness is a divine and lofty type of piety, and a higher morality, not bound by law. Saintliness is "in front [outside] of the law boundary" ("lifenim mi-shurat ha-din"). Saintship ("middat ḥasidut") is distinguished from mere obedience to the Law (B. M. 52b; Ḥul. 130b).

The Rabbis' conception of saintliness may be gathered from their description of Biblical and Talmudical personages styled by them "saints." R. Meïr thought that "Adam was a great saint. Knowing that he had caused death to mankind, he fasted daily for 130 years, ceased cohabitation, and covered his body with fig-leaves" ('Er. 18b). Another saint was David, who prayed, "preserve my soul, for I am a saint" ("ḥasid"; Ps. lxxxvi. 2, Hebr.). The Talmud justifies David's self-praise by comparing him with other kings, who slept till the third hour of the day, while David arose at midnight to give thanks unto God (Ps. cxix. 62; Ber. 4a). Job is counted as a saint of the Gentiles (B. B. 15b).

November 30, 2017 5:16 PM MST

Thank you, Reverend. You seem to know your stuff.
      December 1, 2017 6:10 AM MST

Im following youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ;o
      December 1, 2017 6:12 AM MST

Didn't really know any of that beforehand, just a quick search. No one should really use titles like 'Reverend' and such so as to put themselves on a pedestal. (Matthew 23)
      December 3, 2017 7:33 PM MST

Reverend is not some unspeakable sacred word. Please.

December 3, 2017 7:39 PM MST

Nope, but I don't put men on a pedestal and neither do I want to be put on a pedestal.  I know that some religious leaders like to be called by prominent titles like Father, Rabbi, Reverend, Dr, Apostle, His Eminence, Most Reverend Eminence, etc. but in my opinion as well as what is recorded as the words of Jesus, I don't think that anyone 'should really use titles like 'Reverend' and such so as to put themselves on a pedestal'.
     If you want people to glorify you or you wan't to glorify others, that is up to you and your followers or who you choose to follow or whatever but I can also stand by my opinion. Is that okay with you?
      December 4, 2017 2:18 AM MST

All 12 apostles, for starters. St Paul (nee Saul of Tarsus) was a member of the Sanhedrin.
      December 1, 2017 12:20 AM MST

Which 12?---Judas was replaced by Matthias
      December 1, 2017 9:43 AM MST

Judas Iscariot isn't recognized as a saint. Matthias counts.
      December 1, 2017 4:35 PM MST

THANK YOU!!!!!  I don't mean about Judas.  He was much maligned for no good reason on earth.  He did what he was supposed to do.

He was not a traitor to my way of thinking.

But that said, I meant your comment about the 12 Apostles. 

There was a nut on Quora who stated that you can only be a saint if you meet two criteria.  One is that we must KNOW that the person about to be cannonized is definitely in heaven.

What the heck is wrong with that picture? This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 4, 2017 7:16 AM MST
      December 3, 2017 7:40 PM MST

Where does your way of thinking come from? Is there another book you are reading about Judas so as to influence your way of thinking? I think most people think of the Judas Iscariot mentioned in the Bible and base their way of thinking on that.
    (Luke 6:16) Judas the son of James, and Judas Is·carʹi·ot, who turned traitor.

Did God predestine Judas to betray Jesus in order to fulfill prophecy?
    The traitorous course of Judas Iscariot fulfilled divine prophecy and demonstrated Jehovah’s foreknowledge as well as that of his Son. (Ps 41:9; 55:12, 13; 109:8; Ac 1:16-20) Yet it cannot be said that God foreordained or predestinated Judas himself to such a course. The prophecies foretold that some intimate acquaintance of Jesus would be his betrayer, but they did not specify which of those sharing such acquaintance it would be. Again, Bible principles rule against God’s having foreordained Judas’ actions. The divine standard stated by the apostle is: “Never lay your hands hastily upon any man; neither be a sharer in the sins of others; preserve yourself chaste.” (1Ti 5:22; compare 3:6.) Evidencing his concern that the selection of his 12 apostles be wisely and properly made, Jesus spent the night in prayer to his Father before making known his decision. (Lu 6:12-16) If Judas were already divinely foreordained to be a traitor, this would result in inconsistency in God’s direction and guidance and, according to the rule, would make him a sharer in the sins that one committed.
    Thus, it seems evident that at the time of his being selected as an apostle, Judas’ heart presented no definite evidence of a treasonous attitude. He allowed a ‘poisonous root to spring up’ and defile him, resulting in his deviation and in his accepting, not God’s direction, but the Devil’s leading in a course of thievery and treachery. (Heb 12:14, 15; Joh 13:2; Ac 1:24, 25; Jas 1:14, 15; see JUDAS No. 4.) By the time such deviation reached a certain point, Jesus himself could read Judas’ heart and foretell his betrayal.—Joh 13:10, 11.
    True, in the account at John 6:64, on the occasion of some disciples stumbling over certain teachings of Jesus, we read that “from the beginning [“from the outset,” JB] Jesus knew who were the ones not believing and who was the one that would betray him.” While the word “beginning” (Gr., ar·kheʹ) is used at 2 Peter 3:4 to refer to the start of creation, it can also refer to other times. (Lu 1:2; Joh 15:27) For example, when the apostle Peter spoke of the holy spirit falling on Gentiles “just as it did also upon us in the beginning,” he obviously was not referring to the beginning of his discipleship or apostleship but to an important point in his ministry, the day of Pentecost, 33 C.E., “the beginning” of the outpouring of the holy spirit for a certain purpose. (Ac 11:15; 2:1-4) It is therefore interesting to note this comment on John 6:64 in Lange’s Commentary on the Holy Scriptures (p. 227): “Beginning . . . means not, metaphysically from the beginning of all things, . . . nor from the beginning of His [Jesus’] acquaintance with each one, . . . nor from the beginning of His collecting of the disciples around Him, or the beginning of His Messianic ministry, . . . but from the first secret germs of unbelief [that produced the stumbling of some disciples]. So also He knew His betrayer from the beginning.”—Translated and edited by P. Schaff, 1976; compare 1Jo 3:8, 11, 12.
      December 4, 2017 2:30 AM MST

https://www.haaretz.com/jewish/features/.premium-1.587640
      December 1, 2017 9:41 AM MST

Well some Catholic saints are NOT Christian.

I mean they do Jesus' path but they are not followers of Christianity.

December 3, 2017 7:36 PM MST

Q "Are there any Jewish Saints?"

Society is full of saintly figures who don't care much whether or not they are formally declared saint.

However, if you mean those who are formally saints then yes, I expect the very first to be formally regarded as saints, the disciples of Jesus, were, like Jesus himself, Jews. So the answer is yes, the very first saints were Jewish.
      December 8, 2017 5:03 PM MST