Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Communication » We all know what Dracula is but what is a Count. What does that title mean actually?

We all know what Dracula is but what is a Count. What does that title mean actually?

Posted - December 3, 2017

Responses

Count (male) or countess (female) is a title in European countries for a noble of varying status, but historically deemed to convey an approximate rank intermediate between the highest and lowest titles of nobility.
      December 3, 2017 5:51 AM MST

Nobility ranking somewhere between an Earl and a baron. Vlad the Impaler (Dracula) actually ranked higher than that, for some reason Bram Stoker demoted him.

December 3, 2017 6:46 AM MST

• Not quite.   A count and a baron are basically the same thing.   Count just being the European title and baron being the English title.
      December 3, 2017 7:09 AM MST

• Actually, it's a count and earl that are equivalent; in fact, the wife of an earl is called a "countess", for lack of a specifically English word for this. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 3, 2017 10:06 AM MST
      December 3, 2017 9:54 AM MST

I knew I could count on you for the correct answer here.
      December 3, 2017 9:55 AM MST

The point I was making is that "Count" Dracula wasn't a count, he was a prince (voivode) of the Principality of Wallachia in lower Transylvania (now eastern Romania). Vlad III, "the Impaler", was surnamed Dracula, meaning "son of Dracul". His father, Vlad II, had been a member of the Order of the Dragon.
      December 3, 2017 11:55 PM MST

I saw all the movies and I read the book.

I know.  I know. 
      December 3, 2017 11:56 PM MST

• Damn it.   I actually meant to say that and had that typed but then decided to shorten my answer and deleted the wrong word.   I do that all the time.
      December 3, 2017 9:58 AM MST

Do you think Trump will squirt out another heir and call the next one COUNT?
    He already has a Baron.

(I wish he and his former Stepford Wives were totally Barren)

But most of all?  I wish Trump's mother was.  

December 3, 2017 9:57 AM MST

• I couldn't care any less. I have better and more important things to think about than Trump.
      December 3, 2017 9:59 AM MST

Like what?

Ignore him?  Yeah, no that is not going to happen here.
      December 3, 2017 11:59 PM MST

Reported, to show JA and m2c that we love and appreciate them.
      December 4, 2017 12:26 AM MST

• YESSSS
      December 4, 2017 6:44 AM MST

Well, thank you for that interesting piece of history, but I think the Count did not care what other people called him.  He knew he had more power than the entire world.  You know?  Think about it.  I think he was beyond insult.  LOL

But I get your point.  That was weird.  I wonder if Bram even realized this. 
      December 3, 2017 10:02 AM MST

• Nobility title in continental Europe.  Basically they had privilege and handled a medium sized section of the king's land.   Usually about the size of a small city. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 3, 2017 8:09 AM MST
      December 3, 2017 7:12 AM MST

Like the Count of Monte Cristo.

I loved that movie version with Jim Cavezal.
      December 3, 2017 9:59 AM MST

• A lot of people like that story.  It was kinda meh to me.
      December 3, 2017 10:01 AM MST

I wasn't so interested in the book.   But they did a great version of it on film.

At least the one with Guy Pearce and Jim C in it.  Really fun to watch.
      December 3, 2017 10:03 AM MST

• Well I keep that in mind then.
      December 3, 2017 10:12 AM MST

You might like it if you had nothing to do one night and it came on.  It's about that good.  Nothing you would pay to go to the show and see, but then again, I can't think of anything that fits that bill of late.
      December 3, 2017 10:17 AM MST

• Fun facts:

"Count" comes from the Latin "comes" meaning "companion", because originally a count was a loyal companion of the emperor entrusted with governing in the emperor's name. Most of these terms originated in appointed military ranks before they became hereditary nobility. Likewise, "duke" comes from the Latin word "dux" meaning "leader", specifically the highest-ranking military leader. Later on, following the end of the Roman empire, these terms were adopted into various European nobility systems. A count ranked lower than a duke, but both could be in charge of the governance of certain parts of the realm (while ultimately serving the king or emperor). It was later still that the titles largely became symbolic without any actual governance power.
      December 3, 2017 10:05 AM MST

Okay.  I am changing Asker's Pick to this part. 
      December 3, 2017 10:05 AM MST