Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Should I take this job?

Should I take this job?

someone from this nanny company is very interested in hiring me, theyre checking references and background checks, its a muslim family in texas, they seem like nice people and i dont mind living with muslims, im not racist but i did wonder if they would expect me to be one, they have a 2 1/2 yr old and shes pregnant,  i have numbers so i can check their references too. Im kind of nervous trying to decide, i need a job bad, and noone will hire me, plus its lonely living here with noone to hang with. i could use a change of scenery and wondered what to do with my stuff since my apt building has had bedbugs, they did the heat treatments here but ive thought of just only taking a change of clothes and important papers and donating or trashing everything else. so should i take it?

Posted - December 4, 2017

Responses

I think you would be perfect, sweet girl. 
      December 4, 2017 10:55 AM MST

It sounds like a decent job, and you're a nice person who, if I recall correctly, has been wising for a job some time now. I'm sure it will do you good. Understandable that you're nervous, but when you accept the fresh challenge things will fall into place. Preserving the essential only also seems like a proper plan.
      December 4, 2017 11:00 AM MST

It sounds like a great job, but it is a long way to Texas from Colorado. Would you be living with them?
      December 4, 2017 1:16 PM MST

yes, its a live in
      December 4, 2017 2:43 PM MST

Yes you should take the job. You can't afford to be picky. 
      December 4, 2017 2:10 PM MST

If you move to Texas to live with this family and it doesn't work out, what will you do?  Where will you live?  How will you earn money to feed yourself?  What do you know about Muslim customs and culture?  Will they be paying you or will they just give you room and food?  I would suggest you figure out the answers to those questions before you give up your apartment in Colorado.
      December 4, 2017 2:22 PM MST

Spunky she has been looking for work for years.  You are totally right, but I hope she checked that part out.

I know Muslims sound scary.  They are not scary.  Trump is getting to you.

I know a lot of them and they are good and kind humans.  Some of the best, actually.  Very respectful.  ''

That does NOT mean she should cast her fate to the wind here.  YOU are RIGHT.   She needs to go visit them first on a trial basis before she gives up her life.  That is not going to fix a thing if it doesn't work and she is stuck with nowhere to go.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 6, 2017 3:56 PM MST
      December 4, 2017 2:44 PM MST

Boy, you really are misunderstanding me today.  My only reason for asking whether Pearl knew about Muslim culture and customs is because at some point., her job requirements may have something to do with them.  She may be asked a question by the child at some point and it would be good if she could answer.  I have no more fear of Muslims than I have of any other group of people. 

My only concern is that she will be moving far from where she lives now, where she knows no one and has no idea how to navigate the bureaucracy in a new state and if she doesn't like it or the job doesn't work out, where does she go from there?  She has no safety net there. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at December 6, 2017 3:56 PM MST
      December 4, 2017 3:50 PM MST

I believe that is what you meant.  I didn't see that in print.  I don't think you were bashing Muslims. 
      December 4, 2017 3:53 PM MST

I'm pretty articulate and if I didn't state it in words, please don't try and interpret what I "meant."  I say what I mean and I mean what I say (or write).  If you didn't think I was bashing Muslims, why did you jump all over me about them?  I don't need a primer in how to get along with different cultures - I live in NYC - the world's melting pot.   
      December 4, 2017 4:19 PM MST

they would be paying me, its not just room and board
      December 4, 2017 2:44 PM MST

It would be great if you could visit with them first.  In their home.  Before you give up your life.
      December 4, 2017 2:47 PM MST

I absolutely agree with everything that you have said SpunkySenior, my thoughts exactly.
      December 4, 2017 3:54 PM MST

Thank you.

December 4, 2017 4:11 PM MST

Pearl, you should not take any kind of job because you are "lonely", because you have no one to "hang" with, because you need a job because no one will "hire" you, or because you need a change of "scenery" these are not reasons to take a job. You need to be a lot more mature in deciding if you should take this job or not because if you do not it is not going to work out for you! You should only take the job if you are passionate in wanting to be a nanny, it should be a job that you really want to do because you love being a nanny and it is all you ever wanted to do. You should only consider taking the job if you love children and are very good with them. Being a nanny is very hard work, it is emotionally draining, you have to bend over backwards to love and empathize with the child/children that you are working with every day and you will have tons of responsibilities. Living with a Muslim family will be a big change for you and if you are going to live and work with a Muslim family you will be expected to know about their religion and the way that they live in order to care for their child in the correct manner. I think that you have a lot of thinking to do before you make a decision whether or not you should take this job because after reading your question I don't think that you have thoroughly thought this through.     
      December 4, 2017 3:50 PM MST

How do  you know?  I know lots of Muslims.  How many do you know?   They are not going to make her convert. I am pretty sure there are no weapons of mass destruction where she is going.  She is being PLACED by a service.  I think they may try and see what qualifications she has and what they need already.
    She is living in a hovel.  She has bugs.  She has no money. She has no friends.  How bad could the change be?

I think she needs a change.  While I totally agree with you and Spunky, I am just adding here that she has been looking for a job for a LONG time.  It is not like she has very many choices.  So, this may be the answer to her prayers.  If it doesn't work out, she needs a cushion to fall back on.  That is for sure.  I don't think they will throw her out on the street.  There should be some contract or other. 

Muslims are far more accepting as a rule than Americans who may just walk all over her.  They may welcome her like no other family ever has. Her family is not there for her.

I feel that she should give it a try if she has something in place that will give her a cushion if this doesn't work out.  She has no cushion now and from what I understand she needs money badly and they will pay her.  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 7, 2017 1:53 PM MST
      December 4, 2017 3:58 PM MST

I couldn't have said it better myself.  The one point you didn't mention is that, not only will she be dealing with the child/ren, she will be dealing with the parents who may have a very different way of wanting their child raised than to what Pearl is accustomed.  It may not be that way at all, but it is something to consider.
      December 4, 2017 4:14 PM MST

The only thing I would suggest as others have is to check them out and meet them first before you take the job, as you should anyone before working for them.
      December 4, 2017 4:41 PM MST

someone from this nanny company is very interested in hiring me, theyre checking references and background checks, its a muslim family in texas, they seem like nice people and i dont mind living with muslims.

I'm a little confused---

Who is hiring you?---a nanny "company" that will act as a temporary employment agency and place you with various clients anywhere in the USA who need a nanny for an (unknown) period of time---or a Muslim family in Texas who needs a nanny right now?

And if I were a Muslim and found out that you were going to be the nanny for my children, I am not sure I would be very happy to know that you "don't mind living with Muslims."  Would there be any other favors you will be doing for me?

And unfortunately, if you move from Colorado, whatever personal problems you presently have there will hide in that change of clothes or in those important papers and come right along with you.

Changing where you live seldom engenders meaningful changes in one's life unless you are presently living in a war zone.
      December 4, 2017 7:51 PM MST

Your safety comes first, satisfaction second. You need to formulate a backup plan in case things go wrong. Know if you have family nearby and make local connections quick if you decide to take the offer. Keep your cell phone always charged and get your own transportation. Join local clubs or even a church and make yourself visible so people will ask questions if you go missing. Developing a routine helps by exchanging hellos to new friends. While you are there look for better work in that area and spring board to greater opportunity :) This post was edited by O-uknow at December 7, 2017 1:54 PM MST
      December 4, 2017 9:47 PM MST