Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » In your opinion what is the GREATEST scientific discovery that has ever been made so far? What would YOU like to see be discovered? Why?

In your opinion what is the GREATEST scientific discovery that has ever been made so far? What would YOU like to see be discovered? Why?

Posted - December 5, 2017

Responses

I don't see how you can have a "greatest" because there have been so many over the last few centuries, in so many different fields, though clearly some stand out for their pioneering nature. Science progresses more by many, many small steps, tests and revisions far more than sudden jumps.

However, such exemplars can include:

The discovery that the planets orbit the Sun, over-turning the ancient guess based on simple observation without analysis, that the Sun and planets orbit the Earth.

The understanding of Gravity - actually its deepest secrets at Quantum Physics level are still not known, but its behaviour is familiar enough to enable Astronomy and Astrophysics to progress. 

The development of metallurgy - and millennia before, though not strictly "scientific", the discovery of metals and how to use them.

The development of Mathematics from ancient times on - without which science and engineering could not have progressed beyond more than simple observations and rudimentary guess-work, so all that which we take for granted in our modern lives could not have existed.

The  discovery of the links between energy, power and fuels - and that of the immutability of energy. The law that energy can be converted or transferred but never created nor destroyed, is fundamental to the entire Universe.

The dawning of the science of Chemistry to replace the mystical fog of Alchemy.

The discovery of the real nature of the circulation of blood, and of micro-organisms including pathogens - two of so many great advances in Biology and Medicine.

Finding the links between magnetism and electricity, and how to use them, without which we would not be able to discuss it like this. 

The development of Optics, enabling the inventions of the Lens and the Convex / Concave Mirror, hence the spectacles, the microscope and the telescope, the camera - and in our times, of the Optical-Fibre - a fine thread of very high-grade glass - which means among things that we can chat to each other like this an ocean and more apart.

Thermodynamics - a very complex subject vital to all manner of science and engineering studies and applications. 

The discovery and understanding of the Electromagnetic Spectrum - heat (which is infra-red), radio, light, X-rays, Gamma Radiation.

Establishing the nature of the atom, hence how it controls the nature and behaviour of the chemical elements - but research in Quantum Physics to find how atoms themselves really work is not finished yet!

The profound realisations in Geology of the Earth's age, and that the Continents (once sometimes called "the rigid masses") do move: these two enabled insights into, and solutions of, a huge raft of puzzles such as how mountains form and what volcanoes really are.   These had to wait for other developments in Physics, such as the discovery of radioactivity and its place in nature.
      December 5, 2017 3:28 PM MST

Rosie only sees this as greatest, best, worst.  It makes it really hard to answer.  This is great though.
      December 5, 2017 6:12 PM MST

Perhaps that's true Durdle. Yet here you are anyway responding in a most profoundly informative, thoughtful and outstanding way. It is specifically for people like you that I ask the questions I do. Your reply will be fodder for my next question. Here is a sneak peek. "Is there no such thing as greatest, best, most significant"?  Of what value are such words then if they can never apply to anything?" Why do we invent words for things that don't exist? Perfection for example? What is perfect?  Thank you for a sublime answer. An answer that is most definitely supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and Happy Wednesday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 6, 2017 9:55 AM MST
      December 6, 2017 2:53 AM MST

The axle, for without it the wheel would be pretty useless. 
      December 5, 2017 6:02 PM MST

Thank you for your reply CA and Happy Wednesday. I'm trying to visualize an axle less wheel and I can't! :)
      December 6, 2017 2:54 AM MST

(axle-less)
      December 6, 2017 7:38 AM MST

I didn't axe you.
      December 6, 2017 7:45 AM MST

Lol!

December 6, 2017 7:54 AM MST

Twitter

December 5, 2017 6:12 PM MST

• Lol :)
      December 5, 2017 6:15 PM MST

It was either that or collagen injections.  I couldn't decide.

December 5, 2017 6:16 PM MST

Thank you for your reply Sharon and the graphic. Happy Wednesday.
      December 6, 2017 2:55 AM MST

That little button that allows me to bypass your daily Trump-Love barrages. 

December 5, 2017 11:51 PM MST