Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Military » Some folks opt out of serving their country for "religious" reasons OR because they are rich privileged COWARDS. Right?

Some folks opt out of serving their country for "religious" reasons OR because they are rich privileged COWARDS. Right?

The burden of fighting wars rests on the shoulders of the very few. It isn't fair. It is what it is. Those who manipulate their way out of serving their country in the military are certainly not patriots. But are they really so bad or just normal human beings who don't want to die?  What's so awful about that?

Posted - December 5, 2017

Responses

• There are legitimate objectors that have faith based convictions concerning the bearing of arms. I have no quarrel with that. I've never had the ability to look into a man's heart and determine whether he is a "coward" or not. I know this: at the height of the Vietnam War, I was drafted by the army and responded to the call up without question, as it was the law of the land. After the determination was made that I was fit for service, I joined the USAF and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Now the attitude that my family had (and it was the one I shared) was that the foray into Vietnam was an exercise in futility and was more or less a "political football"here at home that would be a disaster with a high cost of human life to show for ten years of foolishness. While war is a terrible condition in which no one wants to be a casualty, we answer the call if we are threatened as a nation and if we are resolute in carrying out objectives that protect our security and lead to an honorable peace. It's one thing to sit back and say that it's all a rich man's war and a poor man's fight, quite another to make a sweeping judgement of who the "cowards" and "heroes" are as calamity brings out the best and worst in all of us.
      February 9, 2018 11:51 AM MST