Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Pregnancy » To women who have given birth: Do you think men could handle the pain of childbirth?

To women who have given birth: Do you think men could handle the pain of childbirth?

Posted - December 11, 2017

Responses

To be fair, most women "can't handle" the pain of childbirth, and I think that's more so because our society is so hell bent on interventions. We use all kinds of crap to speed up labor, and it's not for the benefit of the mother and child. It's so the medical team can treat you like an assembly line. When my first child was born, I had been in labor for maybe 8-9 hours when the doctor told me I either needed to accept pitocin or she would leave and likely wouldn't be the one to deliver my baby... which is utter crap. I was still well within the normal range- she just wanted me to fit into her day. My son was born within about 30 minutes of the dose, and they told me it would take a couple hours. By the time anyone came back to check on me, I was literally delivering my son alone in an empty room. The pain freaking sucked, but I kept quiet because I thought it was "normal." Nope. Between the labor being sped up and not allowing my body time to stretch, and my son's size (10+ pounds), I ripped to the high heavens (4th degree tear). Thank you, modern medicine. Of course, speeding up the delivery isn't enough. They want the placenta out super quick too, and they don't want to wait for nature to take its course. The stupid nurse pushed on me to try to get it out. OMG That was far worse than any pain I have ever felt in my life. That is the only time I have ever outright punched someone, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Yeah, if I ever see her again, wandering around Target or out to dinner, I may go smack her again for it. 

The second time around, I opted for a medication-free childbirth with the help of a doula, which didn't happen because my daughter put herself into a funny position and I had to have a c-section. So, modern medicine has its place, but there really are some things that should just be left to nature as much as possible.

With all that said, I've read that men have a lower pain tolerance than women do, but I'm not sure it matters, especially not with all the interventions hospitals use now. And, if we were going so far as to say it was a natural childbirth, I doubt it would be much different than women... except if a nurse pushed on a man's uterus after he gave birth, she'd probably need reconstructive surgery on her face. Count your blessings, Evil Nurse from Hades. 
      December 11, 2017 2:27 PM MST

I'm sorry all that happened to you. Especially with our first child, we rely on hospitals and our doctors to do right by us  which unfortunately doesn't always happen.

When I was pregnant the pain of delivery was almost unbearable. I know it's that way for many women. But there are those women that say it was a piece of cake and they would have another child right away if they could. 

What prompted my question in the first place was because I've heard men say that women exaggerate the level of childbirth pain. I've seen those You Tube videos where men are connected to devices that simulate childbirth pain and they are histerical. The men are on the tables writhing in pain and yelling. 

I wonder if those same men would opt to deliver a child. I kinna doubt it. 
      December 11, 2017 2:52 PM MST

it probably depends on the guy since theyre all different
      December 11, 2017 2:29 PM MST

Sure, they can have an epidural just like a woman.  

Not many people seem to bear children completely medication-free.  I did and seriously don't think my husband could have competed it.  He would not have died, but would have succumbed to medication I think.   There is nothing really wrong with that.  When it comes to delivering babies, mothers should choose they own way and feel free to change the plan mid way.  My second one just wore me out;  after 22 hours I accepted the epidural.     
      December 11, 2017 3:04 PM MST

I accepted asmuch medication as I could get, but  it didn't seem to help in my case. 
      December 11, 2017 6:54 PM MST

You take what comes in life. It would not kill them. 
    I had Twight with my first.
    An epidural with an emergency c-section with my second...the cord prolapsed and tried to wrap around my son's neck. Had a great Dr. We were all good.
    Third was an epidural with planned c-section.  

December 11, 2017 4:05 PM MST

What is Twight?  I've never heard that term before.
      December 11, 2017 6:55 PM MST

WHAT IS TWILIGHT ANESTHESIA?

Twilight anesthesia is an anesthetic technique that uses mild doses of drugs to block pain, reduce anxiety, and provide a temporary memory loss, thus enabling patients to feel comfortable during and after surgical procedures. With twilight anesthesia a patient is sedated but remains conscious in what’s commonly referred to as a “twilight state”. The patient is sleepy but still responsive and able to follow direction or communicate with their surgeon. Typically, a local anesthetic that’s applied to the surgical site is used in conjunction with twilight anesthesia to ensure a pain-free experience for the patient.

I remember when it kicked saying that I felt like I was drunk. The Dr with my 2nd and 3rd children said he would not use that because he worried about the effects on the babies....IDK but my oldest is fine but I figure he has more experience with such things than I do.

This post was edited by my2cents at December 11, 2017 9:26 PM MST
      December 11, 2017 8:50 PM MST

Thank you for the education. 
      December 11, 2017 9:27 PM MST