Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Can anyone clarify why there are STILL people who deny climate change?

Can anyone clarify why there are STILL people who deny climate change?

How is this possible?

Posted - December 12, 2017

Responses

No, I have not read the entire Bible.  While I do like to read fiction, I don't like fantasy and that, to me, is what the Bible is - man's fantasy that there is some godly being who is responsible for everything that happens on earth.  The Bible was written by men - men who were, by today's standards, uneducated and who had to come up with some story to explain things that happened way back then.  I am not suggesting that those who believe the biblical stories are wrong.  I'm merely saying that I can't believe them knowing what we know today. 
      December 16, 2017 9:35 AM MST

Having not read it, how can you really make an educated judgement against it? 

I wasn't raised in a religious home myself and it seemed funny how those that I eventually studied with seemed to have so much faith in a 1,900 year old book. But now that I have read it an see the wisdom and prophecies and other things in it, I have a different opinion. 

If you click this link, at least you will have a better idea of what we are discussing:
    Why study the Bible
      December 16, 2017 12:15 PM MST

Thanks, but I'll stick to reading things that are plausible - even if they're in fiction books.
      December 16, 2017 2:59 PM MST

Or, conversely, we can open any of the hundreds of textbooks on anthropology and easily conclude the biblical Adam and Eve account is a weak fable told by ancient clerics to pacify the ignorant. 

The Bible is an exceedingly poor historical accounting, that you rely upon it as such discredits you in these discussions, Texas. 

Interweaving your meager understanding of genetics with claims of “perfection once possessed by our original parentage”, is laughable at best. Straight up lying at worst. 

Look, there is nothing wrong with understanding your particular holy book, but everything wrong with insinuating it into unrelated topics. 

December 16, 2017 7:00 AM MST

That's your response to a conversation in regards to: "The Bible speaks only of Cain and Abel.  If there were more children, why aren't they mentioned?"

Why didn't you just kindly correct her, assuming you have read the Bible as most atheist that like to speak condescendingly to ones that don't accept their beliefs profess to have done. I guess it doesn't matter if something said is correct or not as long as it adds credence to your beliefs, yes?

You kinda come off as if all anthropologist have the exact same conclusions.
      December 16, 2017 8:03 AM MST

Obviously you miss the point of there being hundreds of textbooks on the subject, huh? 

Given what I see of the inanities of Monotheistic worship, I will remain of a condescending tone toward it. The whole enterprise is wicked and false. 

Yes, that is my opinion. 
      December 16, 2017 9:58 AM MST

Obviously you miss the point that they do not all agree, huh?

Given that I prefer to be around kind loving people rather than those that like to paint with such a broad brush and belittle others, I will not likely join you.

If I am not mistaken, most scientist used to think that Neanderthal had smaller brains and were unintelligent and now many believe otherwise.

If I am not mistaken, most scientist used to think that all like descended from a common ancestor and now many believe otherwise.

Many used to believe that our universe has always existed and now many believe it had a beginning.

Many now believe that observable science shows that the universe should not have been able to develop and we should not be here.

Which scientist do you agree with?

December 16, 2017 12:25 PM MST

Clearly I do understand that all anthropologists don’t agree, or I wouldn't have mentioned the hundreds of textbooks on the subject. 

I am not concerned about you “joining” me at any level, Texas, when you can’t even keep up.

Further, there is a noticable absence of any anthropological studies to be found that confirm, or even agree with the Garden of Eden myth.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at December 17, 2017 5:49 AM MST
      December 16, 2017 6:40 PM MST

I don't understand why you want to belittle the beliefs of others yet shy away from making clear your own?
    I am obviously aware that there are many scientist, anthropologist, etc that disagree with others, the more recent conclusions of many fit more in with the Bible.
      December 16, 2017 9:02 PM MST

Wow. What part of “The whole enterprise is wicked and false”, was not clear enough for you? Try and keep up. 
      December 17, 2017 5:08 AM MST

I know, I know, I should not question you. It would be nice though if you would consider the context of what is said rather than taking comments out of context as you do the Bible. Notice that there was more to what I said other than your partial quote. I'll highlight the part you missed due to your hurry to ridicule:
    "I don't understand why you want to belittle the beliefs of others yet shy away from making clear your own?"

Didn't just say "I don't understand why you want to belittle the beliefs of others". In your shortsightedness your answer would have made sense in that case as you already gave your hateful opinion of beliefs that differ from yours.

December 17, 2017 5:59 AM MST

Sorry, Don; but I still maintain that the fact that bacon exists is absolute and incontrovertible proof that not only does god exist, but that he loves us deeply.
      December 16, 2017 2:46 PM MST

Yes, bacon must be of divine origin.  We must consider that at all costs. This post was edited by Don Barzini at December 16, 2017 6:21 PM MST
      December 16, 2017 6:18 PM MST

Quote: "Sorry, Don; but I still maintain that the fact that bacon exists is absolute and incontrovertible proof that not only does god exist, but that he loves us deeply."

Where on earth did that comment come from or have to do with anything said?
    If the subject being discussed had anything at all to do with bacon, I might say something like that since its been proven that bacon could not have come about on its on that it must have come from an animal. Others may still be in the dark about that.

At least the Catholic Church has always been for freedom of belief and thought. This post was edited by texasescimo at December 16, 2017 9:37 PM MST
      December 16, 2017 9:30 PM MST

You are truly beyond hope, Texas. 
      December 17, 2017 5:52 AM MST

Not that I need your hope but please explain thyself.
      December 17, 2017 6:53 AM MST

There are people about this time every year that try and speed up global warming around here.
      December 12, 2017 8:12 PM MST

Winter is setting in? 
      December 12, 2017 8:34 PM MST

It is and I am not a fan of this season.
      December 12, 2017 8:41 PM MST

Me either. Mainly why I live in S Fla. 
    Here, snow and ice are for snow cones and mixed drinks. 
      December 12, 2017 8:54 PM MST

Climate has change throughout time, the problem we have now is what can we attempt to do about it, how much are we causing this and what can we do about it. The fact that the USA has simply washed it's hands over the whole matter does not help anyone and that includes the USA.
      December 12, 2017 8:34 PM MST

I agree. Denying a problem doesn’t make it go away...unless you work at the Vatican. 
    Ironically, even the Pope agrees with the science.

I can assure you, the entire US has not washed their hands of this. 
      December 12, 2017 8:51 PM MST

I am sorry that I gave the impression that all of the US had 'washed their hands', I know that is not the case and it offers some hope but sadly it is a very small glimmer of hope until such times as the Government and the petrochemical lobbiests get on board. 
      December 13, 2017 3:26 PM MST

It’s important to know that the Govt doesn’t speak for the citizens. 
      December 13, 2017 3:30 PM MST

Climate change is, of course, real.  It has been happening as long as there has been a climate to change.  Whether or not it has been caused by humans is the entertaining discussion. 
      December 12, 2017 9:44 PM MST