Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Can anyone clarify why there are STILL people who deny climate change?

Can anyone clarify why there are STILL people who deny climate change?

How is this possible?

Posted - December 12, 2017

Responses

It's possible because some people are so closed-minded that they cannot accept what is right in front of them.  How do you explain people who think the earth is only 3,000 years old?
      December 12, 2017 7:38 PM MST

I think you'll find its a lot todo with a certain book that they've been indoctranated by...... It's called "Religious Nonsense" by Ima God'felow    
      December 12, 2017 7:48 PM MST

Like so much other backward thinking...
      December 12, 2017 8:38 PM MST

You're probably right.  I like reading fiction, but not fantasy.
      December 12, 2017 9:23 PM MST

Who believes the earth is only 3,000 years old?
      December 12, 2017 8:13 PM MST

Those who believe the story of Adam and Eve. 
      December 12, 2017 9:17 PM MST

Try recalculating.
      December 12, 2017 9:21 PM MST

I don't need to recalculate - I'm not a new earth believer.
      December 12, 2017 9:21 PM MST

Or that the earth is flat, or a man lived in a whale, or walked on water.....Though come to think of it, I saw Criss Angel do the last one. 
      December 12, 2017 8:37 PM MST

All excellent points. :)
      December 12, 2017 9:16 PM MST

It takes some interpretation and ignoring context to arrive at the earth being flat. If would take God to allow a man to temporarily live inside a huge fish or to walk on water. Starting out with the preconceived idea of there is no God would certainly influence your belief.
      December 15, 2017 10:34 AM MST

It would take only the mindset to think such things could happen. Gods notwithstanding. 

Atheist definition of God- All the world’s enigmas glibly resigned to the acts of another enigma. To explain without answering. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at December 16, 2017 6:34 AM MST
      December 15, 2017 8:24 PM MST

Ya kinda lost me there. I was pointing out that if you assume that there is no God then there is no question, no one walked on water and Jonah wasn't alive in a huge fish. Kinda like saying if there is no God, then no miracle in the Bible ever happened, or any other claimed miracle for that matter.
    Too me it takes a certain type of mindset to think some single cell organisms from an exploding rock, murky pond, soupy mix or whatever could develop into an ant, platypus, elephant, and a blue whale. Throw in a few billion years in the recipe and wallah, here we are.

I was still interested in this thread though when you have time:
    https://answermug.com/forums/topic/46170/quot-we-all-grow-old-and-die-quot-an-indisputable-truth-from/view/post_id/407106
      December 16, 2017 3:25 AM MST

• I'm reminded of that Onion article that said something like "Sumerians watch in bewilderment as Christian God creates world".

December 12, 2017 9:23 PM MST

Good one. :)
      December 12, 2017 9:24 PM MST

Correction: It is 6000 years ;-))
      December 12, 2017 9:56 PM MST

I stand corrected - 6,000 years.
      December 12, 2017 10:06 PM MST

Hi Spunky. I haven't read in the Bible where it gives the age of the earth or even where it is possible to ascertain the age of the earth from the Bible. Even if you take the creative 'days' as literal 12 or 24 hour spans of time, the earth was created before those 'days' started. Through exhausting research and reading one can arrive with the creation of Adam being a little over 6,000 years ago though.
      December 15, 2017 9:02 AM MST

If you scroll up a bit, you'll see that I admitted my error in saying the earth is 3,000 years old.  In point of fact, anyone who thinks the earth is that young does not believe in science.  As for Adam and Eve, do you really think these two populated the earth?  They bore two sons.  Where did they find wives? 
      December 15, 2017 9:50 AM MST

Yes maam, I saw your correction. That's why I didn't just mention 3,000 or 6,000 years but rather that the Bible doesn't make it to 'where it is possible to ascertain the age of the earth from the Bible'.

The Bible also doesn't say that Adam and Eve only 'bore two sons'.
      December 15, 2017 10:27 AM MST

The Bible speaks only of Cain and Abel.  If there were more children, why aren't they mentioned?  No, the Bible itself does not speak of the age of the earth.  Man, in his infinite ignorance, has interpreted that.
      December 15, 2017 11:57 AM MST

That Cain and Abel are the only children mentioned is a common misconception. True that on the age of the earth just being interpretation.

Here are the verses I had in mind:
    (Genesis 5:3, 4) Adam lived for 130 years and then became father to a son in his likeness, in his image, and he named him Seth. 4 After becoming father to Seth, Adam lived for 800 years. And he became father to sons and daughters.
    (Genesis 4:16, 17) Then Cain went away from before Jehovah and took up residence in the land of Exile, to the east of Eʹden. 17 Afterward Cain had sexual relations with his wife, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Eʹnoch. Then he engaged in building a city and named the city after his son Eʹnoch.

EDIT: 
    See if this article helps:
    [“If Adam and Eve had two sons, Cain and Abel, where did Cain’s wife come from?” Although this is often asked as a trick question by Bible skeptics, the Bible does provide sufficient detail to give a satisfactory answer.
    Genesis chapters 3 and 4 present the following information: (1) Eve was “the mother of everyone living.” (2) Time elapsed between the birth of Cain and his offering the sacrifice that was rejected by God. (3) Following his banishment to become “a wanderer and a fugitive,” Cain worried that ‘anyone finding him’ might try to kill him. (4) God set up a sign to protect Cain, indicating that either his siblings or other relatives might try to kill him. (5) “Afterward,” Cain had intercourse with his wife in “the land of Fugitiveness.”—Genesis 3:20; 4:3, 12, 14-17.
    From the above, we can rightly conclude that Cain’s wife was a descendant of Eve born on an unknown date. Genesis 5:4 acknowledges that during his 930 years of life, Adam “became father to sons and daughters.” Of course, the Bible does not specify that Cain’s wife was Eve’s daughter. Indeed, the fact that she is mentioned after Cain’s banishment indicates that enough time had passed that she could even have been one of Adam and Eve’s granddaughters. Hence, The Amplified Old Testament describes Cain’s wife simply as “one of Adam’s offspring.”
    Nineteenth-century Bible commentator Adam Clarke speculated that God’s establishing a sign as a result of Cain’s fear came about because several generations of Adam’s descendants already existed—enough “to found several villages.”
    That Cain married his sister or a later female descendant of Adam through the marriage of any of Adam’s sons or daughters is viewed by some societies today as unthinkable. This is usually because of societal taboos or fear of genetic defects. Nevertheless, F. LaGard Smith comments in The Narrated Bible in Chronological Order: “It is altogether likely that these first brothers and sisters enter into marriages with each other, despite the sense of inappropriateness which would be felt should that occur in following generations.” Also, it is noteworthy that it was not until Moses received God’s laws for the nation of Israel in 1513 B.C.E. that intercourse between such close relatives was specifically forbidden.—Leviticus 18:9, 17, 24.
    Today, we are millenniums away from the perfection once possessed by our original parents. The effect that genetics and heredity have on us might not have been a factor for them. Furthermore, recent studies, such as one published in the Journal of Genetic Counseling, show that unions between first cousins face lower risks of having children with birth defects than is widely perceived. Reasonably, such issues would not have been a serious concern during Adam’s life span or even prior to Noah’s day. Thus, we can conclude that Cain’s wife was one of his female relatives.] This post was edited by texasescimo at December 16, 2017 8:17 AM MST
      December 16, 2017 3:06 AM MST

With all due respect, that "explanation," if you can call it that, flies in the face of common sense, science and biology (and I'm sure a number of other things).  For me to believe any of what you posted would require me to suspend all cogent reason and I'm afraid I can't possibly do that.  Thanks for replying, but I think we are poles apart on this and there isn't any way either of us will be swayed in the other direction. 
      December 16, 2017 6:41 AM MST

In relation to "The Bible speaks only of Cain and Abel.  If there were more children, why aren't they mentioned?", what translation have you read, or have you read the Bible?
      December 16, 2017 9:22 AM MST