Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » When becoming a born again Christian does the sinning stop gradually or does the guilt of sinning become unbearable quickly?

When becoming a born again Christian does the sinning stop gradually or does the guilt of sinning become unbearable quickly?

Posted - December 13, 2017

Responses

• Being a Christian doesn't have anything to do with how much one sins.   It's about recognizing one does and cannot stop it while acknowledging that it's below perfection.
    That's why I think it's stupid when people say they thought they could trust someone because they were Born Again.  Religion of any sort is not an indicator of character.
      December 13, 2017 11:34 AM MST

• But when you don’t believe in God there are no consequences for sinning. Once you believe its like God wants you to better yourself. The 10 commandments actually mean something now. I did something last night that I wouldn’t give a second thought about if I didn’t believe, but I feel guilty and ashamed of myself now because I should be better at resisting temptation. I ask him to lead me not into temptation and then I lead myself.
      December 13, 2017 11:50 AM MST

• Gypsy, you could always ask God if it's Him that is leading you into temptation, or something else. Then wait for his thoughts. :) I don't know about you, but for me sometimes those answers can take moments or days. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 13, 2017 11:56 AM MST
      December 13, 2017 11:55 AM MST

• If someone is only acting morally because they fear retribution from a deity then they aren't really a moral person and just being selfish. 
    The only sins that religion keeps a moral person from committing or make them feel remorse for are the stupid ones like jerking-off or having sex.   The amoral things that hurt no one and are just shamming people for acting like humans.
      A truly moral person doesn't lie, cheat, and steal on principle, not on fear.
      December 13, 2017 12:24 PM MST

• There’s no such thing as a truly moral person. We are all sinners. How is wanting to please God selfish?
      December 13, 2017 12:29 PM MST

• If one chooses not to lie, cheat, murder, and steal because they are scared of punishment then they are immoral people and are only doing it for there own gain. 

I'm not going to try and defeat your faith.   That's yours and I'm no one to take something that gives you strength away.   However according to the Bible we are all sinners (IMHO) because every aspect of human nature is made out to be a sin.  Even things that are harmless and healthy like masturbation and sex.
      December 13, 2017 12:32 PM MST

Ask yourself who invented sin?
      December 13, 2017 4:14 PM MST

• My sinning stopped immediately. Then it came back, but I was aware of it. You don't stop sinning. You do recognize it, think it over, talk to God, and get a conclusion. You could call it guilt or you could call it "Good grief, what in the world was I thinking!!?". Then it becomes clear, you realize what you were doing or thinking, you learn the lesson, and you have mental peace. That's how it is for me. I suspect it's not the same for other Christians.
      December 13, 2017 11:52 AM MST

• Thank you :)
      December 13, 2017 11:58 AM MST

Being a Christian involves attempting to follow the teachings of Christ.  Think about that a minute.  Now you should see that your question is...., well, I don't want to make you feel silly.
      December 13, 2017 12:19 PM MST

• You couldn’t make me feel silly. What’s wrong with my question? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 20, 2017 2:53 PM MST
      December 13, 2017 4:22 PM MST

It's called repentance.
      December 13, 2017 1:15 PM MST

I do not think the sinning stops at all, you merely ask an invisible friend to forgive you and off you go sinning again. As far as I am aware there is only one unforgivable 'sin' and that is not to believe that your invisible friend is real. You should be happy that we have secular laws that actually work.
      December 13, 2017 4:21 PM MST

Q "When becoming a born again Christian does the sinning stop gradually or does the guilt of sinning become unbearable quickly?"

Good question. Much food for thought there, for example makes one wonder if Adam and Eve were born again, or Moses, or David for that matter.

Jesus, we're told, was sinless so was he born again? BTW, if baptism symbolises the washing away of sins then why was Jesus baptised? Also, if baptism is carried out by one who is spiritually superior then why was Jesus baptised by John? Is that somehow related to Jesus' declaration that of those born of a woman [which includes him, Jesus] there is none greater than John?

The guilt of sinning must become very unbearable quickly to someone who becomes pope. So is he automatically born again? 
      December 20, 2017 2:34 PM MST

You become more aware of your sins and then try to stop. Some sins are easy to stop or not so much. 
    We become filled with God's love for others and realise that many sins cause harm to others and that will cause us to stop because we don't want to hurt others. 
      December 20, 2017 2:58 PM MST