Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Contest: How would you describe our "Animals" category?

Contest: How would you describe our "Animals" category?

CONTEST CLOSED!
Thanks to all who offered up ideas and a big congrats to M2C for providing the winning entry!

Hiya, folks! I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but our friend Alf has been helping us keep the categories in line for about two years now. If you put something in the wrong place, it's often him who helps put it where it really belongs, so people who want to answer your question can find it easier. Yay, Alf!!! Alf has been working overtime as of late because it seems a lot of people are having trouble with finding the right categories, so we're trying to fix that. As of yesterday, Element 99 agreed to help as well. Yay, Element!!! Now, here's the fun part:

We need better descriptions for what belongs in each category, so it'll be easier for members to know what to put where, and it will be easier for the guys to work in tandem without any gladiator-style incidents. ;) I tried making descriptions, but my descriptions kind of stink. That's where you wonderful folks come in. Every couple of days, I'm going to ask a question asking you to define a specific category. The most-liked description wins and will be used on our main category page. In the event of a tie, I'll pick the top ones and open up a poll on it. 

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to come up with a better description for the "animals" category, which currently reads:
For questions and answers about wild animals. For discussions about domesticated animals, please use the "Pets" category.

Yeah... boring. So, if you can jazz it up some, so that it makes sense to people and doesn't violate the TOS in any way, add it as an answer below. And, remember, your "likes" count as votes here, so make sure you're liking your absolute favorite responses.

I'll be checking this thread on Sunday morning and will mark the winner as "Asker's Pick" (provided there's a clear winner) and will post the next round as a new question then.

Posted - December 14, 2017

Responses

"Tiger, tiger, burning bright,"
    Wondering why you're alight,
    Wild beasts' queries here are right
    Whence domestics flee in fright.
      December 14, 2017 4:49 AM MST

I like it. :) Thanks!
      December 14, 2017 1:00 PM MST

Wait, you mean to say that you've got people switching posts to what they consider to be "more appropriate categories"?  REALLY? What the heck else is being switched around behind our backs?
      December 14, 2017 5:59 AM MST

Easy Booyyy!!!!  No one is out to get you ;) ;) ;)!!!  No need to be paranoid or think anything... WAIT!!!!!  Did you READ that??!!!!!  Look out!!
    ;) ;) ;) ;)
      December 14, 2017 12:10 PM MST

I'm not so sure, Merle. 

~
      December 14, 2017 5:32 PM MST

The hot cocoa pot in the break room is really coffee. 
      December 14, 2017 1:00 PM MST

Aha!  I knew it!  Wait, suddenly I don't feel very well . . . [CLUMP!!]

~
      December 14, 2017 5:35 PM MST

Now I understand the pictures you post.
      December 14, 2017 11:08 PM MST

Watch it buddy...I will send all of your questions to the pregnancy category. (JA...JK)
      December 15, 2017 9:21 AM MST

It's ok; I already know that I'm pregnant, so I never post questions asking if I am. 
    ~
      December 15, 2017 9:43 AM MST

Lions, tigers, and bears, oh why?
    Put all your questions about wild animals here. 
      December 14, 2017 6:42 AM MST

I absolutely LOVE this idea! 
    It's very creative and one many of us get.  I'm not sure if I can only vote once or twice.  I like JakobA's idea too.  I'll have to ask JA.  But, I do vote for your creativity and directly addressing the question. 
      December 14, 2017 12:05 PM MST

You can vote for as many as you like.
      December 14, 2017 1:02 PM MST

I think this is my favorite so far.
      December 14, 2017 1:01 PM MST

How about different category names? - wild animals, domesticated animals
    eg:
    Wild animals: - Lions, Giraffes, sloths, Rats, platypus's, rattle snakes, ...
    domesticated animals: - horses, cows, pigs, Llamas, chicken, geese, ...
    and a third category
    Pet animals: cats, dogs, pony's, rats, guinea pigs, pet snakes, bunnies, ...

Nor that a given animal may fit in 2 (or even all) categories. eg rats This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at December 15, 2017 5:32 PM MST
      December 14, 2017 7:29 AM MST

Brilliant.
      I like my2cents idea also.  I'm not sure if I can vote more than once.  As a receiver to both, your idea lays out the rule.  Her idea is more creative and fun.  I do like them both very much.
      December 14, 2017 12:07 PM MST

Maybe. I'm wary of adding more categories because people aren't presently looking for them. However, maybe if it was done up as "Animals- Wild" and "Animals- Pets/ Domesticated" they'd be easier for people to follow because they'd be next to each other. 
      December 14, 2017 1:07 PM MST

Good point
      December 14, 2017 5:30 PM MST

I quite agree. That makes them much more likely to be found.
      December 15, 2017 1:30 PM MST

• Noah’s Archive 
      December 14, 2017 12:37 PM MST

• Animals are wonderful and have wild, furry features
    They are loved and respected, what beautiful creatures.
    They're mysterious and majestic as they prance through the trees
    For all your questions about animals  
    drop them here please.

"THE LITTER BOX"

It gets filled with new stuff everyday. : )

December 14, 2017 12:59 PM MST

lol "The litterbox" 
      December 14, 2017 1:08 PM MST

• Thanks, I hope you like it. : )
      December 14, 2017 1:11 PM MST

I think the site could do without categories altogether.  Just have a search feature that really works.  I am never interested in what category a question resides and I never once looked at categories for the purpose of answering questions.  I don't go to this kind of site for serious answers to real questions ever.  So, to me, this is making something out of nothing at all.................I think that's a song.  :) This post was edited by Thriftymaid at December 15, 2017 12:28 AM MST
      December 14, 2017 7:49 PM MST