Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » "We all grow old and die". An indisputable truth from an Answermug friend. If you had the option to live forever would you choose to or not?

"We all grow old and die". An indisputable truth from an Answermug friend. If you had the option to live forever would you choose to or not?

Because?

Posted - December 15, 2017

Responses

Under current conditions, no. After the removal the affects of sin like wickedness, yes.
    (Psalm 37:10, 11) Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there. 11 But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.
    (Psalm 37:29) The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it.
    Isaiah 65
      December 15, 2017 2:56 AM MST

Written by little-educated ancient people who actually thought the planet and its ability to sustain life would last forever. People who had no idea humans could actually overpopulate and deplete and befoul the earth to the point of unsurvivablilty. 
    But its happening, and they were wrong. This post was edited by Don Barzini at December 15, 2017 12:10 PM MST
      December 15, 2017 4:24 AM MST

"Written by little-educated ancient people who actually thought the planet and its ability to sustain life would last forever. People who had no idea humans could actually overpopulate and deplete and befoul the earth to the point of unsurvivablilty. 
    But its happening, and they were wrong."

Thank you for your opinion. In my opinion, I feel like that some Bible writers likely knew that man would be ruining the earth without direct intervention from God?

I also think that the universe as we know it shouldn't be here, if you take God out of the equation. 

Have you read and/or studied the Bible?
      December 15, 2017 8:11 AM MST

I guess its fair to ask, “Which Version?”.
    I have indeed read and studied the book at length over years as a youth, and the bible remains a primary cause of why I shed and scoff at Christianity, Theism, and the whole arcane ecclesiastical con game. The required abdication of critical facilities is staggering. 

Blindered apologists like you are as unconvincing to me as any in ISIS. 
      December 16, 2017 7:30 AM MST

Quote: "People who had no idea humans could actually overpopulate and deplete and befoul the earth to the point of unsurvivablilty. 
    But its happening, and they were wrong"

Through all of your study you somehow missed this:
    (Revelation 11:18) But the nations became wrathful, and your own wrath came, and the appointed time came for the dead to be judged and to reward your slaves the prophets and the holy ones and those fearing your name, the small and the great, and to bring to ruin those ruining the earth.”

But then again, in our other thread you seemed content to add to the Bible that the earth is flat and were okay with others assertions that the Bible only mentions Adam and Eve having two male children. Proudly holding on to misconceptions about the Bible seems to fit some people well. Too smart to read it for what it says.

EDIT: 
    I also said: "I also think that the universe as we know it shouldn't be here, if you take God out of the equation." Do you think the universe just happened over time or that the universe has always existed or something else?
    This post was edited by texasescimo at December 16, 2017 11:08 AM MST
      December 16, 2017 11:05 AM MST

Of course that takes nothing away from life forever after elsewhere later tex. It's just that sometimes we're not ready to leave here and now because there are still things we need to do/say/fix. Thank you for your reply! :)
      December 15, 2017 4:51 AM MST

High Rosie. Elsewhere?
      December 15, 2017 8:16 AM MST

No. It would become too hard to watch friends and loved ones grow old and die, generation after generation.  There would become less and less that we haven’t done to hold our interest, the never ending cycles of daily existence could become insanely repetitive. This post was edited by Don Barzini at December 15, 2017 12:11 PM MST
      December 15, 2017 4:33 AM MST

There was a scifi story on TV years ago in which a guy did live forever. It showed his going through many lives and many wives and feeling so much sorrow all the while. It finally seemed that his inability to die was a punishment for he got no pleasure in any of it. I'm not sure how it ended. That's kinda weird isn't it? I just remember his living eon after eon constantly repeating the same patterns. He was caught like a fly in a spider web. Stuck. Thank you for your reply DonB and Happy Friday to thee! :)
      December 15, 2017 4:56 AM MST

I am familiar with such stories. Twilight Zone stuff. I also looked to many of the myths about vampires as a source of reference. 
    There are countless logistical issues that are intrinsic to our daily existence that have to be addressed on an eternal scale.

I think whether we can remain physically intact through an indefinite lifespan or not, is beside the point of the likelihood of just being mentally and emotionally worn down This post was edited by Don Barzini at December 15, 2017 12:11 PM MST
      December 15, 2017 5:07 AM MST

Indisputable? I think not: those babies and children who died did not grow old. If you're so enamored with truth . . .

December 15, 2017 9:18 AM MST

Interesting question. I'm Catholic and in my theology I am immortal because I am composed of certain "principles," one of which will never cease to exist. (I'll call it a soul)

This soul is inescapably a part of me.  There is another part of me that is subject to "death"; and if my theology is correct, then it is my body that is subject to death---And again, if my theology is correct, since death will not be overcome in this life, I will have to pass to another, higher mode of existence where, or when, death no longer exists.

Eventually, my body, which cannot survive in that second mode of existence without being transformed by a higher power into something that my soul can then share its act of existence with there.

I have 3 boys---52, 47, and 35, and all my life I have tried to enrich their lives and help them make their lives fun and interesting.  

Maybe that's why I think God, our heavenly Father, would not only do less for all his children (His creation) and also do an infinitely better and more interesting job than I possibly could in providing wondrous things for me and the rest of us.

So, no, I would not want to be immortal in the sense of the "Highlander" (who cannot die); but in the sense of the immortality that God has designed for us---And, well, that sounds really exciting. This post was edited by tom jackson at December 16, 2017 11:34 AM MST
      December 16, 2017 11:32 AM MST