Discussion » Questions » Music » What song has been translated into other languages AND in at least one version maintains similar and/or very close lyrics as the original? ~

What song has been translated into other languages AND in at least one version maintains similar and/or very close lyrics as the original? ~

When I first thought up this question, it was much different than what you see above.  What I was going to post is the following:

"In the German-language song '99 Luftballons' by Nena (1983), are the lyrics of its English-language version, '99 Red Balloons' (1984) a direct translation of the original?"

However, when I researched the topic a bit further, I found out something profound.  I've enjoyed both versions since their respective releases, but it didn't occur to me until tonight that not even the titles are exact translations, because 'luft' does not mean 'red' in German, it means 'air', as in Luftwaffe, Air Force, or Lufthansa, the airline.  Duh! 

I also learned that the two sets of lyrics are decidedly different; the German version more lighthearted and fun, the English version more blatant.  Seeing as I had my answer, and had found so easily, I decided to change the question entirely just to see which other songs might fit the bill.  

~

Posted - December 15, 2017

Responses

This question requires thought, something I'm not good at.
      December 15, 2017 9:22 PM MST

• dragostea din tei

the ma ya hi song 
    both the English and Romanian versions are my jam
      December 15, 2017 9:27 PM MST

• How about .....

Frank Ifield - "I Remember You" (1962)  recorded by Columbia/EMI in British English
    Frank Ifield - "I Remember You" (1962)  recorded by Vee Jay (US)  in American English

It's also been recorded in Germany and France, but I don't speak German or French.  :)) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 25, 2019 8:35 AM MDT
      December 15, 2017 10:05 PM MST

• Oui! (one of the few words I know in French. Means yes). I love that song. Haven't thought of it in years.
      December 15, 2017 10:17 PM MST

• #1 in the U.K. for seven weeks ... #5 in the USA for one week ... Glad you liked it.  :)
      December 15, 2017 10:41 PM MST

Hey, wait . . . 

:|

December 15, 2017 10:28 PM MST

• (and the one French word I know) ...... touché   :))
      December 15, 2017 10:44 PM MST

• The Beatles. I Wanna Hold Your Hand. They learned, and sang it, in German for a concert in Germany.
      December 15, 2017 10:20 PM MST

• I know many songs that have both English and French versions,  and the translations of lyrics are never the same or  even close. Only songs I can think of that stay same to lyrics are the Disney movie songs to fit the movie. This song is translated into 24 languages and lyrics mostly stay the same even though may not fit the music. I love cartoon movies :)

December 16, 2017 4:03 PM MST

not sure
      December 26, 2017 2:00 PM MST