Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Why does my cast iron skillet make stuff taste like metal? What am I doing wrong here? UGH

Why does my cast iron skillet make stuff taste like metal? What am I doing wrong here? UGH

Posted - December 17, 2017

Responses

Cooking. You should not be doing anything silly like that in the first place. ;+
      December 17, 2017 12:59 PM MST

I have been bed-ridden for a week.  I have to start moving around and I am making banana nut muffins.  And hot Mexican chocolate.

It is taking me all freaking day, too.  I should have just bought a can of this.....

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 17, 2017 2:39 PM MST
      December 17, 2017 2:38 PM MST

Image result for gifs of people getting flowers
    I wish i could give this to you in person. I hope you feel better sweetie. ;(
      December 17, 2017 2:41 PM MST

Well,it is actually made of metal and actually you shouldn't be trying to eat it..... God  knows what you're dentist is going too say ...... Nutritionally it's snot so good either...as are eating heavy meals before bedtime.   :( 
      December 17, 2017 1:06 PM MST

Did you season the skillet before you started using it?

One thing seasoning does is form a layer of polymerized oils on top of the metal. There is no way metal can get through that. It also helps against food 'sticking' on the surface.

https://www.thekitchn.com/technique-seasoning-a-brand-new-cast-iron-skillet-6719

December 17, 2017 1:34 PM MST

There must be some rust on it.  Scrub it well then put a thin coat of oil on it and put it in the oven upside down for a couple of hours on 300ish.  I would wait until I was going to using the oven for something else and just let the skillet piggy back.  

In the alternative...........does anyone else taste the metal?  If it's just you then you may need to tell your doctor you are tasting metals. 

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at December 17, 2017 2:41 PM MST
      December 17, 2017 1:35 PM MST

When I was 11, I was on some survival challenge Boy Scout thing. I made the best tasting hamburger with potatoes I ever had and I used mommas' small iron skillet. 
      December 17, 2017 1:44 PM MST

It must be treated every time with oil.
    After I use mine I wash it out and put a small amount of oil in it to coat and dry it on the stove.
      December 17, 2017 1:56 PM MST

not sure why, never heard of that
      December 17, 2017 3:37 PM MST

• Mild steel and cast iron rust. You're tasting the oxidised iron.
    The skillet needs to develop a surface patina, a baked in layer of cooking oils.
    Caste iron acts like a non-stick barrier and prevents the metallic taste.
    Such pans are great for frying, but not suited to cooking stews, especially with acidic ingredients like tomatoe.
    The secret is don't use any kind of cleaning chemical: no soap, detergent, vinegar, bi-carb etc.
    Instead use only the mechanical effects of water, or a swipe with a sponge or paper towel.
    If you accidentally burn something to a hardened crust remove it with a soak in vinegar for 8-24 hours, then scrub with steel wool. Then start again re-developing a new patina of oils.

December 17, 2017 8:50 PM MST