Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » What is the difference between Arthritis and Bursitis?.

What is the difference between Arthritis and Bursitis?.

Image result for gifs of people in pain

Posted - December 17, 2017

Responses

Both are inflamations, thus the "itis". 

Arthritis is an inflammation of a joint.

Bursitis is inflammation of the bursa.

Both are agonizing.

Bursitis
    Gale Encyclopedia of Alternative Medicine
    COPYRIGHT 2005 The Gale Group, Inc.
    Bursitis
    Definition

Bursitis is the painful inflammation of one or more bursae, which are padlike sacs found in parts of the body that are subject to friction. Bursae cushion the movements between the bones, tendons and muscles near the joints. Bursitis is most often caused by repetitive movement and is known by several common names, including weaver's bottom, clergyman's knee, housemaid's knee, and miner's elbow, depending on the area of injury.
    Description

There are over 150 bursae in the human body. Usually bursae are present from birth, but they may form in response to repeated pressure. Each sac contains a small amount of synovial fluid, a clear liquid that acts as a lubricant. The bursae may become inflamed through traumatic injury, infection, or the development of arthritis. The inflammation then causes pain whenever the joint is moved. The most common site for bursitis to occur is the shoulder joint (subdeltoid), but it also is seen in the elbows (olecranon), hips (trochanteric), knees, heels (Achilles), and toes. The affected area may be referred to as "frozen," because movement is so limited. In the knee there are four bursae, and all can become inflamed with overuse.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 17, 2017 1:02 PM MST
      December 17, 2017 1:00 PM MST

Is a bursa a bone?
      December 17, 2017 1:02 PM MST

I just posted for you what bursa(e) are.  Look again.  AND SLOW THE FK :DOWN./
      December 17, 2017 1:03 PM MST

Im hyperactive type of ADHD. DONT TELL ME TO CALM DOWN!!!  I WISH I COULD!!!! :D
      December 17, 2017 5:43 PM MST

I am not serious.  I am letting you know how crabby I feel from being sick all week.

That was supposed to be funny, NOT ever yelling at you for real.  (not anymore after that Trump thing anyway)  I apologized and when I apologize like that and the person forgives me?  I vow to never screw with a friend like that ever again.  So, please know, that was supposed to be funny.

???  Not that funny, but sarcastic funny.

I know you cannot slow the fk down.  I have a best friend in the flesh that is exactly like you, and she is the most amazing brain around. 

It's hard to explain to everyone on here that I write a little differently than the rest of you.  

First I write.  Then I post, then I look it over, than a picture occurs or a movie or whatever, then I am done mostly.  Everyone hates me.

I don't have add or adhd, I am just NUTS.

December 18, 2017 8:37 AM MST

OMG That means I got Bursitis from going on QnA sites for the past 10 years. My upper right arm is killing me and my doctor said it was Bursitis. Yikes. I didnt even get paid or nuthin. ;O
      December 17, 2017 1:03 PM MST

Carb, that very well could be.  

I work on men and women constantly that have issues to do with posture dysfunctions due to sitting in front of a computer, or texting while walking.  All kinds of things we don't FEEL until it starts to hurt.

OKAY.  Bursitis is an irritation.  IT REALLY REALLY HURTS.

It can be managed and it kind of is better than arthritis.  Because if you learn a few steps?  You will not HAVE the irritation.

When you are ready, I will help you.    I hope you have some decent pain killers and you need to not cause further pain until it gets better and that may take a month.

Ice, is a big help.  Not too much for too long.  But if you have heat on it?  It will get worse.  You can use things like topical analgesics like ICY HOT, but not real warmth.  That causes the area to swell.

You want to NOT swell any more.  You want to shrink.  Ice does that.  So, apply ice for no more than 20 minutes at a time.    Whenever it starts to really get horrid.

The best way is with a pack.  And not directly on the skin.  Put in between a wet cloth and your skin in a plastic bag.

Hope this helps a little.
      December 18, 2017 8:43 AM MST

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bursitis/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20353247

Treatment

• Injection into shoulder bursa

Shoulder injection

Bursitis generally gets better on its own. Conservative measures, such as rest, ice and taking a pain reliever, can relieve discomfort. If conservative measures don't work, you might require:

• Medication. If the inflammation in your bursa is caused by an infection, your doctor might prescribe an antibiotic.
    • Therapy. Physical therapy or exercises can strengthen the muscles in the affected area to ease pain and prevent recurrence.
    • Injections. A corticosteroid drug injected into the bursa can relieve pain and inflammation in your shoulder or hip. This treatment generally works quickly and, in many cases, one injection is all you need.
    • Assistive device. Temporary use of a walking cane or other device will help relieve pressure on the affected area.
    • Surgery. Sometimes an inflamed bursa must be surgically drained, but only rarely is surgical removal of the affected bursa necessary.
      December 17, 2017 1:15 PM MST

Tom that is excellent, but I also want to prevent it from happening again.  That needs more info than just how it is caused and what the butchers in mangled care would advise.

Yes, they are great if there is no alternative.  I hope she is not beyond help.  I hope she can manage to get herself better without putting this bandaid approach to the problem.

She needs to re-strategize her posture and movements concerning her arm.  She needs a sling and she needs to stop causing the irritation.  If she just does exercise and whatnot and does not change the way she is moving?  No surgery will suffice.  She will be held hostage by her body.

Thank you for this.  I hope it helps everyone.
      December 18, 2017 8:47 AM MST

Conservative measures are a good place to start---if you are suffering from headaches, stop hitting your head with a hammer.  Then reexamine any repetitive or unnatural movements you ae making as you do certain things related to the bursa location in question.

Physical therapy can be a great help---I once asked a doctor to refer me to physical therapy because I knew my body was slightly skewed.  He wrong a prescription to diagnose and treat my "muscle imbalance."  it was a great help.

[Muscle imbalance is a problem as we get older (usually starting around the time our hormones begin to decrease---and that may just be correlative rather than causative.]---physical therapy can be a great help there.

Medication---nothing wrong with a few anti-inflammatorie, prescription strength if necessary for a short time.

Assistive devices---also a great help in some cases.

I agree with your statement---"She needs to re-strategize her posture and movements concerning her arm. She needs a sling and she needs to stop causing the irritation."  It's a good first approach.

I actually had a cortisone injection in my knee when I was a kid---freaked me out, but one injection "cured" me.  My mother on the other hand, was apparently allergic to cortisone and it didn't help her at all.

Surgery for me personally would be a last and very distant potential solution

December 18, 2017 12:34 PM MST

I'm really no doctor, but that doesn't stop me from offering this simple diagnosis: the first one causes you to unnecessarily capitalize words that should be lowercase, and the second one causes you to unnecessarily place a period immediately after a question mark.
      December 17, 2017 1:22 PM MST

Always on sentry duty, eh?---lol

Web site design is not constrained by the rules of grammar. in their overall format.  When you are dealing with visuals as a means of communication, emphasis is properly and legitimately  determined by fonts that attract the eye gestalts rather than by syntax.

To save people from having to looking up the precise meaning of the word "syntax"----a group from which Rand D is excluded---it is defined as:
     the arrangement of words and phrases to create well-formed sentences in a language.  
      December 17, 2017 1:33 PM MST

That claptrap is rife with errors: are they intentional?
      December 17, 2017 2:47 PM MST

If you are talking about my reply, my errors if and wherever they may be are not worth the energy for me to correct.  
      December 18, 2017 12:36 PM MST

I blame the beans. I ate too many for lunch . The raw egg protein shake didnt help either. It boils down to a temporary loss of my facilities due to gas. ;+
      December 17, 2017 5:42 PM MST

(facilities faculties)
      December 17, 2017 6:05 PM MST

Facilities works just as well---an ability to do or learn something well and easily.
      December 18, 2017 12:39 PM MST

That is so funny. 
      December 18, 2017 8:47 AM MST

Arthritis affects joints.  Bursitis affects the bursa which is a cushion between the bone and muscle or skin.  
      December 17, 2017 1:30 PM MST

not much
      December 17, 2017 3:36 PM MST

I have arthritis, but I don't have bursitis. That's the difference.

(Does that help?)
      December 17, 2017 7:20 PM MST

Yes, if she is Sherlock Holmes.   Or if she plays a lot of that game CLUE.
      December 18, 2017 8:51 AM MST