Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Contest: How would you describe our "Animals (Pets/ Domesticated)" category?

Contest: How would you describe our "Animals (Pets/ Domesticated)" category?

Hiya, folks! I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but our friend Alf has been helping us keep the categories in line for about two years now. If you put something in the wrong place, it's often him who helps put it where it really belongs, so people who want to answer your question can find it easier. Yay, Alf!!! Alf has been working overtime as of late because it seems a lot of people are having trouble with finding the right categories, so we're trying to fix that. As of yesterday, Element 99 agreed to help as well. Yay, Element!!! Now, here's the fun part:

We need better descriptions for what belongs in each category, so it'll be easier for members to know what to put where, and it will be easier for the guys to work in tandem without any gladiator-style incidents. ;) I tried making descriptions, but my descriptions kind of stink. That's where you wonderful folks come in. Every couple of days, I'm going to ask a question asking you to define a specific category. The most-liked description wins and will be used on our main category page. In the event of a tie, I'll pick the top ones and open up a poll on it. 

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to come up with a better description for the "Animals (Pets/ Domesticated)" category, which currently has no description. However, M2C provided the winning description for its cousin, the "Animals (Wild)" category, which reads: "Lions, tigers, and bears, oh why? Put all your questions about wild animals here." I'm hoping YOU can come up with a similar jazzy description for the Pets/ Domesticated Animals category.

Your "likes" count as votes here, so make sure you're also liking your absolute favorite responses. 

I'll be checking this thread on Tuesday morning and will mark the winner as "Asker's Pick" (provided there's a clear winner) and will post the next round as a new question then.

Posted - December 17, 2017

Responses

If someone authors a post, they should put in the category they want to.....it can't be the wrong one.  
      December 17, 2017 2:07 PM MST

Except for the fact that it creates chaos for those who are actually seeking information or want to provide information on specific topics. In those cases, it can very much be the wrong category. Again, I know that's not how you use the site, but it is how many others do, and it impacts their usability. 
      December 17, 2017 2:20 PM MST

Seriously? 

I have no words.

First of all, I would love to be able to even peruse the category ANY category, but I cannot access any questions besides the ones that are on the front page. Sorry, no help here.
      December 17, 2017 2:42 PM MST

Click "Questions" on the main menu- the big blue area at the top of the page. 
      December 17, 2017 4:19 PM MST

Just Asking, this suggestion of yours is more limited than you may think it is.  By going to "Questions" on the main menu, we are served up a list of the most current questions, just as Sharonna stated.  Following your suggestion does not, however distinguish which categories are present, nor does it offer a way to search by categories.  In order to see which category a question has been placed in, one must click on the question itself, and go from there when it is displayed.  As such, it doesn't seem to make much difference at that point which category a question has been placed in, nor does it make any sense (to me, at least) that you recently revealed that admin is taking questions from "incorrect" categories and placing them in "correct" categories.  Once a member selects a category and posts a question, I think it should stay where it is.  You stated that the switch of categories is so that anyone searching for information can find it in the correct category, but if A) the search feature doesn't work, and B) there is no way to search by categories anyway, what sense is it to pine about correct or incorrect categories?
      December 17, 2017 6:32 PM MST

Sharonna said she could only find the questions on the main page, meaning she's using the site differently than you are. You're going to the questions page I directed her to already.

The categories are found (on a desktop) by hovering over "Questions" on the main menu and then selecting "Questions by Category."
    On a mobile device, you'll tap the menu icon, then tap the gray arrow next to "Questions" to open the submenu, and from there you can open "Questions by Category." 

I suppose it's easy to miss if you don't explore the menu often, but it's there and does get used by many.
      December 17, 2017 6:42 PM MST

Ooh, and I should add that page has a search feature that works. 
      December 17, 2017 6:45 PM MST

Ok, thank you.  I didn't realize there are different methods based on the device being used.   I will go to it now to check it out.
    ~
      December 17, 2017 6:50 PM MST

• What, "The Litter Box" didn't win?
    I'm hurt. LoL. : )

Call it..
    Lovable huggable furry friends
    The cuteness and joy never ends
    They eat bags of food and they sleep on your bed
    They're wonderful companions and they love pats on the head.
    They lick your whole face like they really love you
    They also lick their as_holes, I thought you knew.

"FURRY COMPANIONS"

Kisses, kisses, kisses. LoL. : )
      December 17, 2017 3:11 PM MST

lol Not exactly concise, but I applaud the creativity. :)
      December 17, 2017 4:20 PM MST

• Ok then.
    Concise....concise?
    Domesticated Animals.....

Umm.....I got it!

"Four Legged Prisoners"

Or

"Lock up, Animal Edition"

They love us because they have to, they can't hunt anymore and that's the way we like it.
    We give them food, they give us love. LoL!

Ok, how about....

You've heard of the Trading Post?

Well welcome to...

"THE SCRATCHING POST"

The place for all your questions about cats, dogs, birds or any other beloved domesticated creature.

December 17, 2017 4:37 PM MST

never been in there
      December 17, 2017 3:33 PM MST

• Suggestions:
    To search by category, provide a category menu clearly visible on the right hand side, rather than the current drop-down options that open from the "Questions" tag on the top bar.
    "Animals (Pets/Domesticated)" is not bad - it's clear, concise, and covers a wide range from horses and goats, to licensed eccentric oddities, and the regular dogs, cats, fish, mice, rats, ferrets and birds.
    Maybe "Animals - favourite familiars / pesky pets"?
      December 18, 2017 3:52 PM MST

From Cats and Dogs to Horses and Hogs.
    Put all your questions about our pets and farm animals here.  
      December 19, 2017 7:11 AM MST

You will need to add service and therapy animals for cats and dogs. 
      December 19, 2017 5:56 PM MST

What about the animals that fit into more than one category? Dogs, cats, monkeys and several others can fit into service animals or therapy animals. Horses can be used by the police and would probably be classified as working animals, as would K9's. Horses can also be classified as farm animals too. As far as I see it, too many different animals fit into too many different categories to nail one down.  
      December 19, 2017 6:23 PM MST

I believe we only have wild and domesticated animals...service animals would be under domesticated.  
      December 20, 2017 4:52 AM MST

That is true, but there are sub categories for all of them. Take rabbits, monkeys, and birds, some are domesticated and some are wild. I don't see how they can be grouped into only two categories.  Wild animals can be domesticated, and domesticated animals can go wild or feral. There is too big of a gray area on this.
      December 20, 2017 5:11 AM MST

I don't think JA is planning to make new categories so people will simply have to choice the more appropriate one.
      December 20, 2017 5:35 AM MST

That’s logical except for the part that questions are being mobed to other categories due to them being put in the wrong one to begin with. I guess I’m just not understanding what is wanted. 
      December 20, 2017 5:45 AM MST