Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » How do you punish a cat for bad behavior when they don't know the difference between right and wrong?

How do you punish a cat for bad behavior when they don't know the difference between right and wrong?

Or do they? 

Posted - December 20, 2017

Responses

We use a water spray bottle...yes it works.
      December 20, 2017 4:50 AM MST

Good idea.
      December 20, 2017 7:25 AM MST

With my cat it works temporarily, but not long term. That's why I left my cat when I moved. 
      December 20, 2017 6:25 PM MST

I hope you left it with someone and did not simply abandon it. 
      December 20, 2017 6:36 PM MST

I would never abandon an animal. I have 3 houses on my property. I go down there every day and feed him, play with him and clean his litter box. 
      December 20, 2017 6:55 PM MST

Animals don't need to know right and wrong when they can be conditioned to associate undesirable behavior with discomfort. They then avoid the behavior to avoid the discomfort. Same principle applies to children. This post was edited by O-uknow at December 23, 2017 2:30 PM MST
      December 20, 2017 5:00 AM MST

I beg to differ insofar as the same principle should NOT be applied to children. You are installing a conditioned response, Not teaching about moral principles.
      December 20, 2017 8:06 AM MST

Children as in toddlers too young to grasp concepts of right and wrong. This post was edited by O-uknow at December 23, 2017 3:55 PM MST
      December 20, 2017 8:50 PM MST

I rustle a plastic bag near her. She goes running for her life.
      December 20, 2017 2:30 PM MST

If I make like i'm going to pick my guy up he takes off and hides. He used to let me pick him up.
      December 20, 2017 3:23 PM MST

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
      December 23, 2017 2:29 PM MST

• CBT - cognitive behavioural training - works with all species including worms and snails.

The trick is to match the deterant to a naturally instinctive behaviour linked to natural drives.

I say "no" a split second before gently pushing the cat off the table when we are serving food. She now knows not to jump on the table when serving or eating. In this instance, pushing her off (Classical Conditioning) is natural because it is what a mother cat would do when not sharing her food with older kittens to encourage them to respect her dominance in the pecking order. The sound "no"(Secondary Conditioning) becomes associated with the action that instantly follows it and thus works as a warning. Once learned, the cat will accept the "no" and turn away without needing to be pushed off. Eventually it will recognise the situation (also Secondary Conditioning) and not even try.

Training for carnivores and omnivores is different from training herbivores (eg horses) because their primal drives operate differently, but the principles remain the same.

The key to an effective stimulus is "as little as possible but as much as necessary." This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 23, 2017 7:34 PM MST
      December 20, 2017 3:29 PM MST

Hi Hartfire~ I'm on my way down to answer and read yours.   I feel we are on the same track.  Two thumbs up!! :) :)
      December 20, 2017 7:46 PM MST

I suggest reading Hartfire and taking this idea into consideration. 
    My suggestion was a simplified version. 
    Hopefully you have a relationship with you cat.  They enjoy your company and you enjoy theirs.  Wanting to please one another is a basis where you can set the boundaries. With this in mind, the term "No" and voice flexuation does work with cats.  Please remember to use their name first before saying "No."   Don't just throw an arbitrary "No" out there and expect your cat to know you are talking to her/him.  As much as we joke about cats owning us and having us as their pets, you are still bigger!  Big winks and smiles.  Good Luck! 
      December 20, 2017 7:54 PM MST

• I agree with Merlin, especially in complex households with kids and other pets.
    My cat, Suri, knows when we are speaking to her because we look at her as we speak to her.
    Cats do learn their names if repeated in context often enough, and they can learn several other words like "food" and "out?" Single syllables work best. Tone of voice makes a huge difference as they read emotion with accuracy.
    Cats also attempt to communicate with us with their voices and gestures. If we are sensitive to context we can learn what they mean. Suri has one cry which she only uses after catching a mouse - it sounds triumphant, as if saying proudly, "come and see what I caught!" A light mewl says "hello! welcome home! come and greet me!" She uses a gentle swipe to initiate playtime, nuzzles and purrs to get affection, kneads me like bread dough to turn me into a mattress, and has an escalating arsenal of tactics when she wants breakfast or dinner.
      December 20, 2017 10:42 PM MST

They know. Why else would do they jump down from the table when you are about to come into the kitchen? They know exactly what they're doing.
      December 20, 2017 10:45 PM MST

They know they just don't care.
    They just wait for you to leave the room so they can do what they want to do.
      December 23, 2017 2:28 PM MST

Yes...cats are like women and women are like cats.
      December 23, 2017 3:57 PM MST

not sure how, maybe by rewarding them for good behavior
      December 24, 2017 4:34 PM MST