Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » Should sick children be sent to school?

Should sick children be sent to school?

I didn't realize this was a debate-worthy topic, but someone just told me that if a kid isn't running a fever, you should give them cold medicine and send them to school... If you agree with that, what criteria do you use in deciding whether to keep a child home or not?

Posted - December 20, 2017

Responses

Tough question. A fever is always a good reason. Perhaps if a child had a bad cough and other symptoms that might cause them to spread it around, would for me, be a good reason.
      December 20, 2017 9:08 AM MST

• If I had a fever, I would not be going to school. Otherwise, it would depend on how severe my symptoms were and how I felt. As a kid I didn't like missing school (indeed in high school I didn't miss a single day), but if I felt bad enough I wouldn't go. 
      December 20, 2017 9:33 AM MST

Dude...You could have really trashed my awkwardly worded answer. I hated high school except for gym, the science classes and my German classes. So I regularly skipped school. I thought many of my teachers were boring and stupid. This post was edited by Element 99 at December 20, 2017 1:55 PM MST
      December 20, 2017 1:50 PM MST

• My son used to get ear infections regularly after he would get a cold and it would lead to a fever unless I just kept him indoors out of the cold air here in Canada for a few days.
    He did miss some school, but he caught up.

Now, he's older and he seems to recover fairly quickly from some of these little colds.
    He hasn't missed much school lately luckily.
    I think that if the child honestly has a cough, sore throat and plugged up or runny nose the parent should keep the child home for a day or two if they have that option considering work.
    I always work evenings so I've always been able to stay with him.

School is important, but it is definitely not more important that a child's health.
    I will always keep him home if he has a bad cold and as Element said why spread it around to all the kids?

December 20, 2017 9:33 AM MST

• If a disease is infectious, the kid should be kept at home but study the day's lessons online.

The common cold is lethal to people who have never been exposed to it, so I believe that getting a cold each winter helps stimulate the immune system to recognise and be able to fight the virus. For that reason I would send a a kid with a cold to school, maybe with something like Lemsip to ease the symptoms. But over-dependence on drugs is also not a good thing. All have side effects and many have long term side effects on things like the stomach. liver and kidneys. Learning a degree of forbearance with temporary and non-damaging pain is not a bad trait to acquire.
      December 20, 2017 3:02 PM MST

In England it's still illegal to Post children anywhere....and that includes to schools..... You'll be far better off to use Parcel Post and if it's in the winter term you're going to send em......dont forget to wrap em up well.....   :)D
      December 20, 2017 3:16 PM MST

no, they can make other children sick
      December 24, 2017 4:02 PM MST