Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Communication » What are some modern etiquette dilemmas you face when writing Christmas cards?

What are some modern etiquette dilemmas you face when writing Christmas cards?

An example - a couple I know had a break-up but carried on living together. Should I send them a Christmas card each or one addressed to both?
Another one. Suppose I have a friend called Chloe whom I've known for 20 years. She has a long term partner called Roger whom I hardly know, I've only met once and spoken on the phone to him a couple of times. They live apart for 8 months of the year because he works in another country, should I address my Christmas card to "Chloe" or "Chloe and Roger"?

Posted - December 21, 2017

Responses

Example 1. Hmm difficult, I may go for separate because they are both your friends but not a couple. 

Example 2. Chloe and Roger
      December 21, 2017 12:56 PM MST

First one - if they have separate last names, I would address the envelope to Ms. So and So and Mr. So and So,  inside the card, you can just write the date and something like "Wishing you a happy holiday and a wonderful new year."

Second one - Assuming the partner will be away for the holiday, I would address the envelope to her and inside I would write both names.
      December 21, 2017 2:22 PM MST

Unmarried people should get their own card.  Living together never equals a marriage.  See how easy that was?   Any thing else I can help you with?  :)

December 21, 2017 2:27 PM MST

i dont bother with christmas cards since im out of work
      December 21, 2017 4:57 PM MST

• 1. Definitely two e-cards sent to their individual e-addresses, with different images and wording to suit each.
    2. I'd address it to Chloe and add a post-script Xmas wish for her to pass on to him. I would address it to both until I know him better as a personal friend, or until they are living together.
      December 21, 2017 6:37 PM MST