Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Did anyone heve to teach you how to ride a bicycle? My uncle bought me one when I was eight. I just got on it and started riding.

Did anyone heve to teach you how to ride a bicycle? My uncle bought me one when I was eight. I just got on it and started riding.

Posted - December 26, 2017

Responses

I think I just wrecked enough to learn how. Same went with driving a car. 
      December 26, 2017 9:09 AM MST

Yes, I needed help in the beginning, later I became quite proficient at it. Same as with most everything else
      December 26, 2017 9:14 AM MST

• My dad taught me when I was around 5-6. I didn't have training wheels for very long, though. I remember we went to the parking lot of the elementary school on a weekend one day and that was when I finally learned to ride without them. 
      December 26, 2017 9:38 AM MST

• "Yes" ... and believe me, it was a mind-jangling experience for a lad of four years.
                Of course, first, I had to get a job so I could pay for it myself ... but that was the easy part.
      December 26, 2017 10:00 AM MST

my father and my brother tried but i never had the balance for it
      December 26, 2017 10:57 AM MST

I needed a couple of push offs, but once I learned, I became hooked. I rode every day before and after school. I became the neighborhood bike show-off. I did wheelies and even could stand on the front wheel with no support and hands in the air.  I rode over wooden ramps that were lit on fire. I jumped over the cat without using a ramp. (the cat lived)
      December 26, 2017 12:21 PM MST

• "Hooked" ... it didn't happen for me until I was older, but I know the feeling. :)
      December 26, 2017 2:50 PM MST

Yes. When I was little, my neighbors often took in foster kids. When I was seven or so, the boy who lived with them was named Jason. He was probably 17 or so by then. We all thought he was the coolest. He called me "Madonna," after the singer. He said it was because my hair was always messy. lol He's the one who taught me how to ride my bike. I was the youngest of all the kids in my family and the youngest in the neighborhood. All the kids were poking fun at me because I couldn't ride yet, and he spent an afternoon teaching me. Shortly after that, he went to jail for being involved in a burglary or something, and he hung himself in his cell. :/ True story. 
      December 26, 2017 2:48 PM MST

Yikes.
      December 26, 2017 3:40 PM MST

My dad helped me learn. He mostly just followed me around and stopped me from falling over occasionally.
      December 26, 2017 7:19 PM MST

Yes.  I remember being taught and the cuts and bruises.  I was put into the hospital while try to learn to ride.  I was about 4 or 5 and I looked back and my father had let go of me and I got so scared I ran right into a bush.  The handle bar went, with great force, into the soft area under the chin.  I don't really remember anything else about it.  
      December 28, 2017 4:01 PM MST

Yes, my step dad taught me. I remember him holding the back and not supposed to let go.... I looked at my shadow and seen he was no where near. I was happy and mad at the same time. 
      December 28, 2017 4:16 PM MST