Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Does a leopard ever change its spots? DO people really ever change that much?

Does a leopard ever change its spots? DO people really ever change that much?

We so often hear people saying they want to change, to be a better person.. the bigger person, the more kind, caring one who speaks gentler and who reserves judgement. Not jumping into the fore at a moment's notice, without thinking.. 

I know I have evolved in so many ways... in some ways I am a different person... but when it comes down to it, I am not sure that I am really all that different..

SO how about anyone else.. has anyone here ever REALLY changed? Have you achieved all those qualities you always admired? 

Posted - December 27, 2017

Responses

Methink they do not. There is such a thing as inherent nature and although a subject may conform to norm whatever abnormality so to speak  that existed before is still there but under submission.
      December 27, 2017 9:50 PM MST

I hope you are sitting down O-uknow... cos I think I kinda agree with you, well on most of it.. I am not so sure that it's inherent nature that's entirely responsible.. as we are also changed/formed by our experiences and our early experiences may help make us what we are and then it's probably difficult to change...

I do think we can change but for most of us we are what we are.
      December 29, 2017 2:37 PM MST

• Nobody should expect anyone else to change. its a personal decision to change something about yourself and it doesn’t happen over night 
      December 27, 2017 9:56 PM MST

Yup agree with that too.. I find it's very, very, very hard to change even if one wants to.. Take me for example.. I am an opinionated fighter for justice and respect and I ain't above calling people *insert rude name of choice here* in the process.. I can be fearless in my fight for those less able to defend themselves...  and I want to change.. to be less reactive, to think things through and offer a more considered opinion. I'd love to be serene... wise...  and I am trying.. and really not with all that much success. I have modified somewhat but I am still that opinionated *insert rude name of choice* I always was :P
      December 29, 2017 2:40 PM MST

• I remember talking with you on another site and we didn’t get on. I would argue with you about feminism and that sort of stuff. But now we’re not arguing so we must have changed. I really try hard to not get into arguments now, but I fail often because I’m not perfect. Changing isn’t easy but if you can see your own faults then that’s half of the battle.
      December 29, 2017 2:47 PM MST

How sweet of you.. I am sorry I don't remember you from another site, but rest assured I am still the same opinionated fighter for the underdog I always was.. On feminism I would still *debate* the hell out of anyone who wants to go there :P  But like you I try not to get into too intense a debate these days.. mainly cos a) I don't have time (It's one of the main reasons I didn't come here for a while... cos I Knew I wouldn't have time to put the warranted effort into complex replies and debates..) and b) cos I have learned that with some people we can give them as much info as there is and they cannot see and accept.. It's kinda associated with my training.. I have had to accept that as much as some would benefit and are actually in need of betterment and enlightenment.. WE cannot do that for them.. they have to be ready and they have to be able to accept and see what their mind won't allow them to see.

LOL of course I don't accept I have any faults... just that I need to prioritise my time and energy :P 
      December 29, 2017 2:56 PM MST

Ooh and to reveal my soft and caring side... I would say to you, please accept my not remembering as a compliment :) It only means that a) there was never anything personal and b) that I really do treat people as I find them.. I am almost entirely reactive... so I give back whatever I receive.. if people are nice to me.. I am nice to them and as far as I see on here.. you have, so far, said reasonable things that I have agreed with.. lol if you say things I don't agree with well you guessed it :P 
      December 29, 2017 3:00 PM MST

Some leopards do change their spots. Some tigers were previously leopards. People often change a lot.
      December 29, 2017 2:39 PM MST

well I take some inspiration from that then :)
      December 29, 2017 2:40 PM MST

some might
      January 2, 2018 4:07 PM MST