Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » I’m watching Jaws. Have you ever encountered a shark in the sea?

I’m watching Jaws. Have you ever encountered a shark in the sea?

When I was in Australia I went swimming in the sea after smoking weed. I went quite far out when I thought I felt something touch my foot. I got really paranoid and swam to the shore really quickly. The next day on the same stretch of beach a man lost his life to a shark.

Posted - December 27, 2017

Responses

• "Not sure what it was really."  A friend and I were in the Long Beach Harbor, in my 12' Arima, and my friend hooked something that started towing the boat backwards through the water. It just kept on swimming like we weren't even there.  My friend eventually cut the line.  Never did see what it was, but figured it was something big like a shark.  Not many fish in a harbor.

December 27, 2017 3:49 PM MST

Eeeek you were probably very lucky there!  I've never seen a shark other than on TV> I do remember going to see Jaws tho as a kid. We arrived half way through, then watched to the end.. then watched the beginning.. 
      December 27, 2017 3:50 PM MST

Snap.....I'm watching Jaws too.....The first original one not the second one :)D
    They'e just gone out on the boat after it.....:(
      December 27, 2017 4:50 PM MST

• yeah snap! Where in the uk are you from? I live in north wales
      December 27, 2017 4:55 PM MST

I live in north London.....is the sky leaking where you are ? 
      December 27, 2017 4:56 PM MST

• Yeah it’s been wet all day. I want more snow
      December 27, 2017 4:59 PM MST

It snowed here this morning....then it thawed and the roads flooded ..therevwere huge puddles across the roads everywhere....
      December 27, 2017 5:07 PM MST

• Do a spell so that we wake up to snow :)
      December 27, 2017 5:11 PM MST

I hate the cold and snow....I'm a sun worshiper and hate wearing heavy winter clothing.....:(
      December 27, 2017 5:20 PM MST

• I like the sun too. I haven’t had a holiday for ages though. I wouldn’t mind being on beach now sunbathing with you and your nice jugs lol
      December 27, 2017 5:35 PM MST

We're inseparably and we always go out two'gether.....:).
      December 27, 2017 5:52 PM MST

• Do you get many guys asking to see how nice they are?
      December 27, 2017 5:57 PM MST

It happens on occasions .....I go to every local auction buying old ones....it's a hobby of mine ....
      December 27, 2017 6:07 PM MST

• You’re funny. I appreciate them too. Big ones. Big milk jugs lol
      December 27, 2017 6:14 PM MST

I went to LA for a family vacation when I was younger, visited  all the best beaches. Anyways, we found a peaceful beach called Manhattan - away from all of the crazy crowds, more for families. I went to the end of the pier and there was a bunch of surfers below us by the wooden legs. They were just chilling and talking to each other. But I was a little bit anxious for them because I know great whites are quite common along the South-West coastline. Nothing happened on that day. But a few years later I heard about an attack that happened at that pier. 

But, to technically answer your question, I have never personally encountered one. 
      December 27, 2017 5:02 PM MST

• I don’t think they just happen randomly. If its your time and you’re in water then the sharks are coming for you. It wasn’t my time that day.
      December 27, 2017 5:16 PM MST

The problem with wild animals is that you have no idea how hungry it is, and have no idea when its last meal was. Great whites are mostly sensory based predators. The more hungry it is, the more likely it is to mistake non-prey as prey. 
      December 27, 2017 5:21 PM MST

This post was edited by Nice Jugs at December 27, 2017 5:04 PM MST
      December 27, 2017 5:03 PM MST

I was scuba diving years ago in Monterey Bay with a friend and we saw a baby shark buried in the sand. All I could see was the dorsal fin. After we surfaced my friend joked that he never saw power planas work in reverse. Lol
      December 27, 2017 6:33 PM MST

I have seen many sharks.  The two I saw while scuba diving seemed as afraid of me as I was of them.  They just swam quickly away.  Twice I have seen sharks in among swimmers.  One of those times I called to a group of young surfers to come back to the beach.  Just after they got out of the water they saw the shark jump out.  It was probably a bull shark an big enough to kill and eat one of those guys.  They looked over at me and nodded in grateful horror.  It was a good feeling.
      December 27, 2017 6:53 PM MST

not yet
      January 2, 2018 4:02 PM MST