Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Is demonic behavior coddled even when society makes noises of being tough on crime? In the story of four Ohio teens charged with murder

Is demonic behavior coddled even when society makes noises of being tough on crime? In the story of four Ohio teens charged with murder

for dropping sandbags off an interstate overpass eventually killing a man, why besides the obvious murder charge are they not also charged with the attempted murder of other drivers whose cars were damaged? They instead are charged with vehicular vandalism with no mention of past criminal behavior and no condemnation of the parenting skills that permitted the Deviltry to take place.
https://www.cnn.com/2017/12/27/us/toledo-teens-charged-throwing-sandbag-overpass-trnd/index.html

Posted - December 28, 2017

Responses

• We seem to go easier on criminals when they are minors. We sometimes treat them all as less-culpable children until the day they turn the "magic age" of 18. At the same time, we seem to grant minors a greater ability to redeem themselves. So it's a mixed bag, I guess. 
      December 28, 2017 9:59 AM MST

• The DA is being a little over-zealous and risking the case going for 2nd murder and life.   Considering their age and the ignorance that comes along with it a manslaughter charge is more appropriate.
      December 28, 2017 11:18 AM MST

If only the lesser charge was meted out equally. It is not. There are many cases in which children have been seen as and tried as adults.
      December 29, 2017 7:16 AM MST

• Do you have a hard time reading or do you just enjoy moving the goal posts?
    I never said or implied they shouldn't be tried as adults.   I said that  given the circumstances a manslaughter charge makes more sense and is much more fitting.   This grave act of stupidity is much more inline with Criminally Negligent Homicide which is a type of case than actual murder.   Stop letting emotions dictate.

Regardless of of being tried as an adult or a minor.  The capacity to understand ones actions and scope is considered in the eyes of law.
    WAKE UP.
      December 29, 2017 11:10 AM MST

I think this is a much wider and deeper debate than we can do justice to here.. however, there are some things we would throw into the mix.. choice of words like demonic and examination as to whether that was a word that was factually justifiable or emotive and leading.. factors like what was their intent, could it be established factually... and as others have said the fact that they were children..  

Re the debate about the magical age... well that's true... and it's like everything.. there is no magic cut off line but it would also be true to say that as we all know.. what we think we know at 18, we often find out later that we knew diddly and were still very, very, very immature. 
      December 28, 2017 2:08 PM MST

I disagree.
      December 29, 2017 7:18 AM MST

that's why society is so screwed up...they coddle them....they should be charged as adults and face death penalty..
      December 28, 2017 3:18 PM MST

I don't know about the death penalty for children but a long prison sentence is justified.
      December 29, 2017 7:18 AM MST

i would hope not
      December 29, 2017 3:50 PM MST