Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Is there anything unusual about liking some gas stations better than others and disliking different gas stations?

Is there anything unusual about liking some gas stations better than others and disliking different gas stations?

Posted - December 29, 2017

Responses

Nothing unusual at all, some gas stations might have a difference of ten cents...but even that matters in long run...so;))
      December 29, 2017 10:30 PM MST

• I doubt it's unusual.
    Gas stations vary greatly.
    I prefer the small independents because they are often at least 10 cents per litre cheaper.
    The price makes a huge difference; "take care of the pence and the pounds take care of themselves."
    I like the ones that provide shelter from the weather, and I love the ones that offer personal service.

I avoid the ones that "discount" if you show a docket from a major supermarket. I think all "loyalty" schemes are a con. They put the prices up so as to pretend giving a discount. And in my view loyalty can't be bought, only earned by providing honesty, fairness, integrity, quality and good service. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 29, 2017 11:39 PM MST
      December 29, 2017 11:37 PM MST

Not at all unusual.
    It would be unusual if you disliked the gas stations you liked.
      December 29, 2017 11:38 PM MST

No.  Why?
      December 29, 2017 11:56 PM MST

• Because just the other night I went to the nearest gas station I could find to an event I was attending. At this specific station, they make everyone face the same direction, but have pumps on both sides. Translated, this means each driver can only use half of the pumps that are there, and if their gas port is on the wrong side, they can’t use that pump, even if it is available. And this experience for me was terribl. I’m never going back there.
      December 30, 2017 6:54 AM MST

That one-way arrangement is very common in British service-stations, irrespective of the owning fuel-company, so I know the problem you mean. However, the hose should be long enough to reach round the back of the car if you park close-in and slightly further forwards than normal.
      January 12, 2018 5:09 PM MST

• The hoses at this station were not long enough to reach the opposite side. At leas, not without the car blocking the card reader and keypad. That’s why I’m never going back there.
      January 22, 2018 8:07 PM MST

• "No"  They are definitely not all the same.
      December 30, 2017 3:38 AM MST

In my town, 95% of the fuel retailers are owned by one family. They have forced some out of business, but not the local Walmart or Krogers.
      December 30, 2017 7:36 AM MST

i dont think so
      January 1, 2018 4:29 PM MST

Here in Europe cars do not all have the gas input on the same side.
      January 1, 2018 7:12 PM MST

I don't choose by "like" but by convenience - I don't detour if I can use a garage on my intended route, even if the price is fractionally less on the alternative - besides the detour would reduce or remove the saving anyway.

Also there is less choice now. The long-established filling-station and service garage by the end of my street has closed, as have so many others.  Some have been wiped out by the supermarkets, who as with the ordinary shops, when they've destroyed the competition can then start putting the prices up as much as they can. (The retailer's profit-margin on fuel in the UK is very small, which is why a lot of surviving rural garages are now sales and repairs only.)

That's on the ordinary roads though...

A few months ago I drove South from the Midlands on the M5, leaving it at Bridgewater. I was glad I'd made a detour of about 2 - 3 miles at Tewkesbury to refuel because an illuminated sign just past Bristol indicated the next three service-areas' petrol prices as at the same price as each other, like a mini-cartel; and well over 10p a litre (so >46p a gallon) costlier than the filling-station in Tewkesbury. 
      January 12, 2018 5:22 PM MST

I dislike the overcrowded, the ones with zero service or the one's that are difficult to get into due to location.  I also dislike the ones that cost the most.

January 22, 2018 9:16 PM MST

(ones)

No apostrophe. 

January 22, 2018 11:10 PM MST

I used one the other day, though only for it small shop, not for petrol, that appeared to be attendant-service! Very unusual now in the UK - almost all are self-service.
      January 24, 2018 1:17 PM MST