Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Is there any unique architecture where you live?

Is there any unique architecture where you live?

Posted - December 30, 2017

Responses

Yes, both old and new. Here are the American Swedish Institute and the Weisman Art Museum.

December 30, 2017 4:00 PM MST

not that i know of but there might be
      December 30, 2017 4:32 PM MST

•   December 30, 2017 5:13 PM MST

The Golden Gate Bridge
      December 30, 2017 5:33 PM MST

Yes...our art Museum has numerous outdoor modern artifacts. Unfortunialy I am unable to download them.
      December 30, 2017 5:38 PM MST

• "No, not really."

December 30, 2017 6:03 PM MST

Nice pics
    love the colorful tile walkway
      December 30, 2017 6:04 PM MST

Adelaide is a city with BALLS!

Then there's the South Australian Medical Research Institute, which looks like a giant cheese grater.
      December 30, 2017 10:53 PM MST

There is plenty of fine Victorian architecture in the town where I live, but if you're looking for uniqueness then you're more likely to find it in 20th and 21st Century architecture. There is the 20th Century Queensgate Market, which is certainly distinctive but not everyone's cup of tea:

Image result for huddersfield queensgate market architecture
    As for the 21st Century, we have the Kirklees College and Huddersfield University buildings which are eye-catching but are more of a mixed bag - they look okay from some angles but jarring from others. The trouble with 21st Century architecture is that visual unity and harmony are often sacrificed in the interests of making a "statement" and creating a building that will get noticed and talked about. The results can be pleasing to the eye but not always. Uniqueness is not always a good thing if it means being different for the sake of being different.

Image result for huddersfield kirklees college

Image result for huddersfield oastler building architecture
      January 1, 2018 8:55 AM MST

I revisited this last month - The Monument to the Revolution, in northwest Bosnia. It's on a mountain called the Kozara, where many lost their lives during World War II.

What I find interesting is how interactive it is, in an elementary way. First, you ascend long, broad steps to get to this place; then you can actually enter the monument, if you're capable of squeezing through the gaps (where, sadly, you'll find some pointless graffiti too). You can climb the horizontal slabs, and there's a sort of little labyrinth in behind, with the etched names of 9,921 Yugoslav partisans killed in the area, fighting the axis powers.
      September 2, 2023 11:44 AM MDT