Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Has anyone else noticed the quite striking parallels between Trump and Harding?

Has anyone else noticed the quite striking parallels between Trump and Harding?

Vague oratory, "an army of pompous phrases moving over the landscape in search of an idea" (McAdoo). Long on platitudes, short on policy.
CHECK.
Appointing best friends rather than best qualified to cabinet positions.
CHECK. 
An administration mired in scandal due to the (perceived or actual) incompetence, ineptitude and corruption of said appointees.
CHECK.
Offending the peak international body (League of Nations/UN).
CHECK.
A debauched past (although unlike Harding, Kennedy and Clinton, Trump seems to have got that out of his system before being elected).
CHECK and MATE.

Harding is universally ranked among the worst US Presidents in history.
Thoughts?

Posted - January 2, 2018

Responses

And? What's your point? Harding died in 1923. Are you campaigning against Trump in Australia?
      January 2, 2018 8:36 AM MST

Who's campaigning? I just noted the obvious similarities.
      January 2, 2018 8:47 AM MST

Then what's the point of your question? You seem to believe that you know a lot about the US and our political system, which I find amazing since you're in Australia. Many of your statements belie that idea.
      January 2, 2018 10:40 AM MST

• I cannot find any similarities between Warren G Harding and Donald Trump. It must be like ten people witnessing a train wreck. You get ten different versions of what happened. Seems more like a real stretch of the imagination. 
      January 2, 2018 9:01 AM MST

not yet
      January 2, 2018 3:00 PM MST

Your CHECK-points are extremely general and shared by a great many politicians.

Fx: Offensive towards The UN. That has been Standard Operating Procedure for Republican Politicians since shortly after World War 2
      January 2, 2018 5:16 PM MST

• No, I haven't noticed any similarities between Trump and Harding. However, I have noticed the quite striking inability of your attacks on President Trump to cause his supporters to turn against him? I have also noticed your striking ability to make your Australian self to look foolish when you attack Trump.
      January 3, 2018 5:57 PM MST