Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Is this some sort of record for false or misleading claims by a POTUS for one year?

Is this some sort of record for false or misleading claims by a POTUS for one year?

Real or not?  President Trump has made 1,950 false or misleading claims over 347 days...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-false-claims-lies-misleading-president-facts-statements-a8138071.html

Posted - January 2, 2018

Responses

If you say so, it must be true.
      January 2, 2018 12:25 PM MST

January 2, 2018 2:00 PM MST

January 2, 2018 2:03 PM MST

January 2, 2018 2:16 PM MST

January 3, 2018 8:41 AM MST

• I live in Australia, so have no experience of the reliability of www.independent.co.uk/news/worldas a news source.
    Here, our news media keep a constant watch on Trump's tweets, press releases and actions.
    This is because, as America is a close ally of Australia, its diplomacy or otherwise, policies and actions have a huge effect on our safety and trade with the world and in particular with South-East Asia. What Trump does in response to North Korea could be lethal to us.
    Our investigative reporters run multiple checks on everything he says because of the potentially serious repercussions.
    An enormously high proportion of his statements are false.
    Some create risks of war and worsening international relationships.

I think Trump's statements fall into 7 categories: factual/true, false, misunderstanding, ignorant, insensitive, opinion only, or illogical.
    The current POTUS strikes me as a buffoon: stupid, populist, opportunist, underhanded, and fundamentally immoral.
    I believe he is sincere in valuing the capitalist ideals of big business, and outmoded double standards of sexism and racism.
    He is ignorant of history, constitutional law, how the USA systems work as checks and balances on one another, social conditions, and the consequences of pollution and global warming.
    Although I could never support Republican policies, they could at least have head-hunted a better candidate.
    Now, the world's best hope is that he will do something so stupid that he will be impeached.
    It's possible he already might have.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 2, 2018 5:26 PM MST
      January 2, 2018 12:41 PM MST

January 2, 2018 2:06 PM MST

He won't be impeached unless and until the democrats gain control of Congress next year, and then only if he's found to have committed an impeachable offense. Thinking he's stupid and not liking him do not constitute grounds for impeachment.
      January 2, 2018 2:58 PM MST

• I agree, Stu. Completely.

January 2, 2018 3:19 PM MST

January 3, 2018 8:38 AM MST

Guess what is more unbelievable?

The countless morons who believe every word.
      January 2, 2018 1:29 PM MST

January 2, 2018 1:57 PM MST

• Sad and scary, but true.
      January 2, 2018 3:19 PM MST

He takes the cake
    and Macburgers
    for fake news and Lies....
      January 2, 2018 1:55 PM MST

January 2, 2018 2:08 PM MST

it might be
      January 2, 2018 2:51 PM MST

Impossible to compare because the media is determined to lie about other Presidents....one even claims Obama only lied 18 times in 8 years.....lol that a good one.
      January 2, 2018 3:32 PM MST

I read the article linked and most of the specific instances it gave are things I had already noticed as untrue/misleading/or illogical.
    Did you read and disagree with the examples given ?
      January 2, 2018 4:11 PM MST

I read the article....and things they are considering lies...I don't care about. 
    I don't care if the US taxes are the highest or just higher etc. I care that they were cut. 
    I don't care that during campaign Trump wanted to talk about the real unemployment rate  and now is content to talk about the regular UE rate...the fact is both the regular and the real are both down.
    I don't care that he called the stock market under Obama a bubble....the fact is it is now at record highs. 
    I don't care that he said OC is dying....that is a matter of how you measure...more people or otherwise. I call when people have 1 or 0 insurance companies participating...something is dying. 
    There was nothing in the article that was even eyeraising. Trump uses superlatives always has....I don't care.  As long as he is passing bills, signing orders and appointing judges that I like I am happy. The rest is just distractions. Action is what matters. 
    Do you believe Pres Obama only told 18 lies in his entire 8 year term? Lol
      January 2, 2018 4:44 PM MST

Great comment my2cents. ;)
      January 2, 2018 5:10 PM MST

Thank you. :)
      January 2, 2018 5:25 PM MST

The only untruth would be the fact that it is not being shouted from every rooftop.  Lying and saying it is a lie does not make it a lie.  It makes those that believe that type of illogical blah blah, are just pissing into the wind.

January 2, 2018 7:26 PM MST

• Although I'm not keeping a scorecard,(as those paragons of virtue in the media are) I'm astute enough to know that the presidency has been disparaged, disrespected and dishonored to the extent that it will never again be associated with integrity. This goes back decades. Also, while we're on the subject of the lack of character, integrity and honesty in the Executive branch of the government, it's interesting to note that when you aspire to the office and you're beaten in your own game,(resoundingly so) it damages one's pride (which we're told precedes destruction). I think that Secretary Clinton was working on her own version of "My First Hundred Days in the White House", which was penned by would be presidential candidate Sen Huey Long before he was murdered. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 3, 2018 8:40 AM MST
      January 2, 2018 4:35 PM MST

If you actually stop and think about it, how could anyone outshine old Tricky Dick Nixon in that department? Too much of a recency bias.
      January 3, 2018 8:44 AM MST