Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How do I visit someone in the hospital if i dont know their last name?

How do I visit someone in the hospital if i dont know their last name?

theres someone I've been friends with that lives in the apts next to mine, I didnt really know her that long, someone today came by and gave my apt manager a note to give to me saying she was in the hospital with a stroke, theres only one hospital in the area so thats not the problem, the problem is i have no idea what her last name is,and the hospitals are not going to tell me so i cant just give them a first name to go see her. its considered confidential info to give out last names and i cant ask the person that gave the note cause i dont even know who she is, i did write a note and gave it to someone that lives in her apt building and asked her to tape it to her door so when she comes back she'll know i couldnt see her cause i couldnt get her last name and not cause i didnt want to visit, so how do i get that info? and yes i did try her phone on the off chance it was a cell one but noone answered, any suggestions?

Posted - January 3, 2018

Responses

If her phone is a landline and her number is listed, you can find whose name it is under here:

https://www.whitepages.com/reverse_phone
      January 3, 2018 4:57 PM MST

i tried that and it worked, i got her last name, thanks
      January 3, 2018 5:36 PM MST

Cool!  You're welcome, Pearl.  I hope your friend is doing better. 
      January 3, 2018 5:45 PM MST

Good girl pearl :)
    Bless you.
      January 3, 2018 9:26 PM MST

It depends on the size of the hospital, but if your friend is at a smaller hospital, or they have a good front desk, they'll often find ways to connect you. 

If you know what hospital your friend is at, I'd suggest calling the front desk and giving them a very concise explanation- the longer you keep them on the phone, the less likely they are to help you because they're busy. 

The gist is, you need to explain who you are, what your relationship with the person is, and what you want from them very quickly. They will likely be willing to send her or her family a note if you keep it brief and don't ask for confirmation that she's there or for any personal information. 

i.e. Hi, my name is Pearl. I live next door to Jane, who was admitted on January 1 with a stroke. I want Jane to know she's in my thoughts, but I don't know her last name and can't find out what room she's in. I understand you can't give me this info, but I'd like to leave a note with you to give to the nurses in that department, and if they see her or her family members, maybe they can forward it on. (This language leaves it open- they're not giving you any info, nor are they even confirming she is there.)

When the person agrees, which they probably will, then just give them your name and number and say your friend is in your thoughts and to reach out to you when she's able. Again, keep it short. The less you dominate the hospital's time, and the more understanding you are of their limitations, the more willing they will be to help you. 

Good luck. I wish your friend a speedy recovery!
      January 3, 2018 5:13 PM MST

By wearing a disguise:

~
      January 4, 2018 12:24 AM MST

Looks like you already have your answer. 

Searching every single room of the hospital would be a lengthier alternative. 

January 5, 2018 3:03 PM MST