Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Is it reasonable to be fined $100 for calling in the fire department without there being a fire at your location?

Is it reasonable to be fined $100 for calling in the fire department without there being a fire at your location?

Posted - January 7, 2018

Responses

Better than being arrested.
      January 7, 2018 8:14 PM MST

There's not sufficient information accompanying the question in order to answer with accuracy.

1) "Calling the fire department".  One may call the fire department for a variety of reasons, but if the purpose is to report a fire, to make a request for assistance, those calls normally are made to 911*, not directly the fire department itself.  In the question, that tidbit of information is not addressed.

2)  Many fire departments contain or are co-located with paramedics and/or hazardous material disposal experts*, which means that a fire emergency is not the only type of action to which they respond.  If the call was not made pertaining to a fire, but for another type of emergency, then such a fine does not appear to make sense.

3)  Assuming that you meant someone calling to report a fire when no such incident is taking place or has taken place, a fine of $100 is completely and absolutely unreasonable.  An offense such as that should carry a fine of a minimum of $1,000.

4)  Yes, I already know that I take things extremely literally.  It won't be necessary to inform me of it.

*In the United States, that is.

~
      January 7, 2018 8:25 PM MST

• This is what happens in The Sims 1 when the sims report a fire without there actually being one.
      January 7, 2018 9:01 PM MST

My brother got 30 days for a false 911 call.
      January 8, 2018 7:34 AM MST

• In my view, yes.
    Hoax callers take up the operator's time.
    Every microsecond counts in an emergency.
    It can make the difference between life and death,
    or the loss of ecosystems, homes or livelihoods.

Considering the potential seriousness of a fake call, a $100 fine is extremely lenient.
    Although for some people it could still be more than they have or could legally obtain. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 8, 2018 7:35 AM MST
      January 7, 2018 9:09 PM MST

Yes.  Same for 911.
      January 7, 2018 9:15 PM MST

i think so cause noone should be bothering them if theres no fire
      January 8, 2018 2:41 PM MST