Active Now

my2cents
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » Why do so many people try to apply real world physics to comic books and movies?

Why do so many people try to apply real world physics to comic books and movies?

Posted - January 10, 2018

Responses

Because back in the day comic books were "the thing."  Ironically, those people grew up with brains and now understand physics.  So, "these days" they can now use the brains they have collected over the years while still enjoying their comics. :)
      January 10, 2018 11:01 PM MST

It is something we all do. Predicting consequeses to be able to avoid having to suffer them.

I remember one picture, very romantic, a pretty girl sitting in the sand on a beach at sunset. To make it even more romantic the photographer had told her to take a clump of sand in each hand and throw them up over her head so the trajectories forming the top of a heart-shape over her head. What she (and probably the photographer) forgot was to imagine what would happen when those two clumps of sand met in the air over her head.
      January 11, 2018 12:24 PM MST

Because apparently, those who suspend their belief in causality and other values that that really exists, as well as "if-thens" that are accurate, seems to have trouble dealing with day to day reality and the inferences that should be relied upon.

Personally, I wish that Trump voters were more aware of the real world when they voted for Trump.
      January 11, 2018 3:16 PM MST

cause they enjoy doing that
      January 11, 2018 4:33 PM MST

What bugs me is when people apply comic book physics to reality. For instance you can look up Ian Oort at wikipedia.org and see that he is credited with inventing dark matter in 1938 to fudge his data to agree with his theories. Fast forward 80 years and dark matter is considered the foundational principle of the entire universe. People hear so much about dark matter that they assume it is a proven fact.
      January 12, 2018 7:08 PM MST