Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » How many causes are there for "radio silence" aka the silent treatment, and what are they?

How many causes are there for "radio silence" aka the silent treatment, and what are they?

Posted - January 17, 2018

Responses

Any time someone makes me mad.
      January 17, 2018 2:27 PM MST

If I am so mad that I am lost for words.  Sometimes I really will go silent until I can process my anger.
      January 17, 2018 2:40 PM MST

The Mapimí Silent Zone (Spanish: La Zona del Silencio) is the popular name for a desert patch near the Bolsón de Mapimí in Durango, Mexico, overlapping the Mapimí Biosphere Reserve. It is the subject of an urban myth that claims it is an area where radio signals and any type of communications cannot be received.
    Mapimí Silent Zone - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapimí_Silent_Zone/ 

United States National Radio Quiet Zone - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_National_Radio_Quiet_Zone
    The National Radio Quiet Zone (NRQZ) is a large area of land in the United States designated as a radio quiet zone, in which radio transmissions are heavily restricted by law to facilitate scientific research and military intelligence. It is located in the states of West Virginia, Virginia, and a small part of Maryland.
      January 18, 2018 4:06 AM MST

What in the world is wrong with the software that I can't post two links without mangling them?
      January 18, 2018 4:08 AM MST

Interesting. 

As far as the links go, I'm not sure what happened. I sometimes have formatting trouble, myself, so I usually add the links after I've written everything. I'll at it to the dev's to-do list.
      January 18, 2018 11:34 AM MST

The first attempt made the entire second paragraph a link. The second attempt made the entire post a link. What you see there is the third attempt.
      January 18, 2018 9:53 PM MST

When I take the concept of radio-silence and put into action, the first word that came to mind to explain it was, overwhelming.
    Let's see.  If I were a DJ or News Broadcaster years ago, and I received devastating news and it was my responsibility to share that news with the listeners, I would probably be overwhelmed.  I would stop the music, let there be dead air-time to get everyone's attention and seriously gather my thoughts before relaying the dreaded information to them.
    Now that I've written it, I say radio-silence is:  Composing before giving overwhelming information.

The silent treatment is given when there are no words in any language to show how you feel at the moment.  This should be given when you feel violent toward someone or when you are so hurt you know whatever you say still will not express how deeply you are hurt. This post was edited by Merlin at January 18, 2018 2:50 PM MST
      January 18, 2018 2:44 PM MST