Active Now

Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do some American tv/radio personalities need to stop saying ‘We Are All Immigrants’?

Do some American tv/radio personalities need to stop saying ‘We Are All Immigrants’?

African-Americans in America stems from the transatlantic slave trade. The general “coming to America for a better life” narrative does not apply to them..their relocation was involuntary, to put it mildly.

Native American citizens living today (in America) are not immigrants...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/joshua-adams/we-need-to-stop-saying-we_b_11120884.html

Posted - January 18, 2018

Responses

That's true for some African-Americans. Others have come more recently for jobs or education from African or Caribbean countries. But they're still immigrants. The word isn't qualified by the reasons for or methods of travel.
      January 18, 2018 1:24 PM MST

Trump is head hunting a certain type of immigrant ------------- the type that kills established American citizens.  Just like the illegal who came to my small town and shot 3 citizens to death, including an off duty policeman. 
      January 18, 2018 1:37 PM MST

and with respect we shouldn't ever forget to, in the same breath,  examine the sheer numbers of your own citizens who kill each other..that far, far, far outweighs the other kind... even on a monthly basis the number of your own citizens that die by gunshot(s) at the hands of your own citizens is phenomenal.

One should always use balance and perspective when discussing these issues rather than going the sensationist route 
      January 18, 2018 3:14 PM MST

How is that relevant to the question? It's really not necessary to make a political statement in every answer.
      January 18, 2018 5:37 PM MST

According to the FBI, 67,642 murders were committed in the U.S. from 2005 through 2008, and 115,717 from 2003 through 2009. The General Accounting Office documents that criminal immigrants committed 25,064 of these murders.

To extrapolate out these statistics, this means that a population of just over 3.5 percent residing in the U.S. unlawfully committed 22 percent to 37 percent of all murders in the nation. This is astounding.

January 21, 2018 6:10 PM MST

Yes. I am not an immigrant. I was born here. Some of my ancestors were immigrants. 
      January 18, 2018 2:03 PM MST

We aren't all immigrants.  We aren't even almost all immigrants.  Most of us had immigrant ancestors.  Media people have sunk below the level that I even expect coherent intelligent dialogue to spill from them.  Celebrities hit that mark years ago.  
      January 18, 2018 2:12 PM MST

Technically we all have ancestors who were immigrants somewhere along the line.  Most of us today were born here.  When someone becomes a citizen, I consider them an American.  The only ones I might refer to with the hyphenated American designation is someone holding dual citizenship.  
      January 18, 2018 2:56 PM MST

We all came from somewhere else.  Our parents did, or their parents.  I guess that is what that implies.

Everyone else just landed here and took over, massacred anyone that was in their way and brought slaves from other countries.

January 18, 2018 3:51 PM MST

Sharonna, you do tell it like it is...  LOL, Good One... This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at January 18, 2018 6:46 PM MST
      January 18, 2018 4:42 PM MST

Muh-muh-muh-my Sharonna! LOL.
      January 18, 2018 6:47 PM MST

Codes... This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at January 18, 2018 6:54 PM MST
      January 18, 2018 6:53 PM MST

American tv/radio personalities don't need any such thing. They get paid for spouting cliches. No connection to reality.
      January 18, 2018 11:09 PM MST

While the term 'immigrant' technically applies to anyone who came here from somewhere else, I understand your point. Many of us, perhaps most of us, descend from immigrants who came here because their homeland did not offer the same opportunities as they could find in America. Africans had a whole different experience. In fact, the slave trade had a devastating effect on African countries, not just on the Africans that were brought here. Large numbers of the population, most males, were kidnapped or captured in wars and this had a profound effect on their culture. Their economies became dependent on the slave trade and collapsed when it ended.  When the Norwegians, for example, came to America in great numbers it eased the overpopulation in Norway and mad life better for both those came and those who stayed.
      January 19, 2018 5:27 AM MST