Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Are an ex's friends off limits for dating?

Are an ex's friends off limits for dating?

Posted - January 20, 2018

Responses

What part of X is not crossed off?

Is this X someone you hold dear?   Is his feelings more important than yours?  Does he have trash to share about you?   

Tread carefully.  But I would not care if my exes dated my friends.  Actually both of them did.
      January 20, 2018 2:09 PM MST

Oh sorry, misread that... thought you said friends.. in which case my reply would be..,,Not off limits but the consequences must be carefully examined.. like if it were to go wrong then it's truly hideous to lose both a friend and a lover at the same time. It happened to me.. I misssssssssssssed my friend so much, he was the one who was always there for me, comforting me when my latest conquest didn't work out.. when I was down...  but when HE was the one who broke my heart I had no one there to comfort me.. he'd taken my friend away from me.. I couldn't forgive him for that.. and I wish we had stayed friends... 

My daughter also very recently had similar.. a friend she had known since she was 8...  they got together in November.. they broke up Jan 4th.. she is devastated and it's the friendship she misses most..

Ex's friends can be tricky too...  This post was edited by Adaydreambeliever at January 21, 2018 1:49 PM MST
      January 20, 2018 2:26 PM MST

• I doubt it.
    Though it might depend on when.
    Too soon after the break-up and it could look as though you'd had wandering eyes, or been cheating.

The ex has no right to any say in the matter, but if you wish to remain on friendly terms, it might be tactful to ask him.
      January 20, 2018 4:32 PM MST

I've always thought that I could date my ex's friends, but he could not date mine.
      January 20, 2018 5:24 PM MST

No, nor intimate relations without dating.
      January 20, 2018 9:04 PM MST

I think it's a good rule of thumb to avoid it, but no, it isn't wrong in the sense of right vs wrong.  It has to do with respect and dignity.  Friends of mine.........not friends I spent time with other than school things...our kids went to school together.  The wife and I phone chatted sometimes but I never went to social gatherings with them.  They started the divorce process and one night the guy came over to pick up his daughter and, long story short, they stayed for pizza I became his listening person.  You know, you have to have one when you go through a divorce after a long marriage where children are concerned.  It's just a horrible thing.  Anyway,  after they became divorced he started calling me to go to official-type events with him............company parties, class reunions, and stuff like that.  Then we started just hanging around together and dating.  When the time was closing in on intimacy I knew it was not going to happen and just told him that I felt like I was doing something wrong in dating mode.  Friend mode was fine.  He thought I was being too....something....but I never went anywhere else with him.  He wanted to remarry which was another problem because........not.  No one was going to be a father figure to my kids other than their father and I had no interest in raising someone elses.  That's just the way it is.  So, that's a very long answer to your  short question.  In the end it comes down to how do you feel when with the friend of your former husband.  Now if your ex is an ex-boyfriend that you were with six months that is a different story. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at January 21, 2018 1:51 PM MST
      January 20, 2018 9:27 PM MST

Nope. There are a few exceptions, of course, but generally speaking, nothing makes women off limits. Well, there is certainly one clear exception . . . 

~
      January 20, 2018 9:33 PM MST

Here's another you sometimes forget about.

January 21, 2018 2:49 AM MST

Pfffft, I never pay any attention to those things, you should know that about me by now.

~

January 21, 2018 9:09 PM MST

This isn't clear to me. Is is because it says 'Mom' on the casket?
      January 21, 2018 2:50 AM MST

Mothers need love, too, you know.  Randy Candy is good for all women.  (Quit being so jealous.)

~

January 21, 2018 9:07 PM MST

You're right. I was assuming it was your mom.
      January 22, 2018 3:07 AM MST

Lol, no. 

:)
      January 22, 2018 5:52 AM MST