Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » "Art films". Or non commercial films.Can you recommend any?

"Art films". Or non commercial films.Can you recommend any?

"Art films" as they're called. Not the pretentious ones. But uncommercial films. Films with good actors, that are entertaining, unusual, limited in special effects and explosions.  Can you recommend any, that you've seen recently?  I think a lot of us are fed up with the rubbish that we see on our screens.

Posted - January 23, 2018

Responses

I never really pay attention to the origin of films. Particularly in the age of Netflix, everything blends into one. I don't have to go to a special theater to see them, so I never quite know. I cheated and looked up an indie films list for the past two decades and gabbed a few I enjoyed. 

Juno (2008): I think most people saw this one because it made it big. It's the offbeat comedy about the pregnant teen.

Monster (2003): Also another huge one- the Charlize Theron film about serial killer Aileen Wuornos.

The New Daughter (2009): This one is on Netflix now. It's a horror film starring Kevin Costner. Critics don't love it, but there's a certain depth and darkness to it that you won't usually find in traditional films. I was so mad at the ending that I hit forums after to make sense of it, and then watched the last couple minutes like five times before I could be at peace with it. 

It Follows (2014): Another horror flick, but this one is super weird and only for mature audiences. Basically, there's an evil entity which tries to kill the afflicted in gruesome ways that can only be transferred through sexual contact, and the only way to get rid of it is to pass it on to someone else. The sexual aspects of it are really minor, if I recall, but it is a mortifying movie. 

I also looked up one called "Little Evil," which I recently caught on Netflix. It was apparently a Universal film, distributed by Netflix, but it has all the quirks of an indie film. The short version is that it follows the story of a new step-dad, and his step-son is the spawn of Satan. It's hilarious because you, as the audience, know that the kid is genuinely evil, but all the dads in the film are agreeing and sympathizing with the step-dad like he's dealing with typical blended family problems, and the mom is completely oblivious to what her son is. 

I'm not a fan of typical indie films. Ones like Mother!, Lost in Translation, and so on, which were loved by many, are just too artsy for me. I hope your question gets lots of answers, so I can catch some more!
      January 23, 2018 1:32 PM MST

I just watched The Reader.  It was a bit artsy and very very good.  Netflix. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at March 21, 2019 7:21 PM MDT
      January 23, 2018 10:28 PM MST

"Strangers in Good Company"

"Threads"

"Savannah Smiles"

"Welcome to the Dollhouse"

"Happiness"  (the one directed by Todd Solondz)

"A Little Romance"   ( a darling movie, it's probably not an art film -  probably none of my suggestions are - - but they all rock)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at March 21, 2019 7:26 PM MDT
      March 21, 2019 7:23 PM MDT