Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Let freedom ring: We have religious freedom and freedom from taxation without representation. Don't most countries have that now?

Let freedom ring: We have religious freedom and freedom from taxation without representation. Don't most countries have that now?

What's new in the land of the "free?"

Posted - January 23, 2018

Responses

Most countries are less free than you would think. Freedom is relative and comes with rules. 

Consider: How many places are you not free to denigrate the Koran? 

Fact: Residents of the District of Columbia (DC) pay Federal taxes like the rest of us, but have no elected representatives in Congress. 

January 23, 2018 8:41 PM MST

Don, where I am currently living, it is actually illegal not to have one of six state approved religions, I could do jail time for simply not believing BS. 
      January 23, 2018 9:30 PM MST

Interesting point.  Maybe the residents of D.C. should revolt. 
      January 23, 2018 9:30 PM MST

Taxation WITH representation is not so hot either!
      January 24, 2018 3:48 AM MST

As others have said... it's very far from the case that all countries have that freedom. In some countries even daring to voice a disagreement with the favoured religion can get you stoned to death or imprisoned
      January 24, 2018 3:29 PM MST

In Germany you can be arrested for waving your hand the wrong way. In France you can be arrested if your clothing is not state approved. (Maybe. A lot of people have demanded that law, but I am not clear on the current status.)
      January 25, 2018 1:36 AM MST