Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Did you all know that insulting one another on this website was a felony?

Did you all know that insulting one another on this website was a felony?

I've got like 10 felonies under my belt.

Posted - January 28, 2018

Responses

JA is a harsh Mistress. You can get one week to life.
      January 28, 2018 9:46 AM MST

Only if you insult a male.  If you insult a female it's a 'galony' 
      January 28, 2018 9:51 AM MST

Did you know that using a word that the president used to refer to countries where the residents are primarily dark skin-toned will get you a warning letter about "cursing" on the main page? 

That's f@cking hilarious, isn't it? 
      January 28, 2018 11:04 AM MST

You mean that a US President would use foul language, or that JA didn’t let you do it here? 

It appears you CAN insult people here sometimes, even slander the President himself, if you keep the cursing out and your name is Rosie. 
      January 28, 2018 11:53 AM MST

I can live with that :P
      January 28, 2018 12:23 PM MST

Used by the US president and fit for newspaper headlines and the evening news. 

And it wasn't JA, for the record. Somehow I don't see her as that petty. 
      January 28, 2018 8:26 PM MST

Umm... I wouldn't consider it pettiness, so much as uniform rules for everyone. If we start using Trump's behavior as a model for acceptable standards, we're all screwed. It may not have been me who removed it or edited it, but it could have just s easily been me. I would have made the same call.

But, for what it's worth, most letters aren't intended to be "warnings," especially not with language. We do have some fairly strict language guidelines, and not every site has them. I personally have the mouth of a sailor, so I have to actively monitor myself,and yes, members have caught me cursing and reported me to me. lol The letters we send out are generally just supposed to be a "hey, we saw this, we had to remove it, and this is why..." sort of thing. It's not a reprimand. We do have guidelines, and we have to enforce them. We can't be selective about it just because it's a presidential quote or there's no point in having the policy to begin with.

On the other hand, I do take it more seriously when people make a habit of insulting others. That's not the environment I set out to create here, and if people feel like they need to talk crap about other members to get their point across, they can go elsewhere and do it.
      January 28, 2018 8:48 PM MST

True enough, re: Trump's behavior. The only thing he's fit to model is a straight jacket or prison uniform! :)

I think maybe the * was broken on my keyboard that day. My bad. 

I agree with you completely about insulting other members. Resorting to that is usually a sign of low intellect. :)

January 29, 2018 6:46 PM MST

Oh well, it’ll happen.
    You wanna play in their yard, gotta let them pull and delete to their heart’s content. The cost of doing business.
    No worries.  

If the intended audience happens to get the message, then all the better. This post was edited by Don Barzini at January 28, 2018 3:01 PM MST
      January 28, 2018 11:45 AM MST

I've give up insulting for Lent.. last Lent,.  And believe me that's VERY hard, I am a Brit and we are taught sarcasm before we are taught to speak so it doesn't come naturally not to show people how beneath contempt they are :P 
      January 28, 2018 12:24 PM MST

Love the bloody Brits. For years, I had an assistant who was from north of London. I could listen to that lady read a phone book.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at January 28, 2018 12:31 PM MST
      January 28, 2018 12:28 PM MST

no but now i do
      February 14, 2018 6:25 PM MST