Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Have you broken any bones in your body? How?

Have you broken any bones in your body? How?

Posted - February 7, 2018

Responses

My nose, three times (firstly going over the handlebars on a push bike at the age of 6, secondly stopping a cricket bat with my face and the third time was playing rugby, a scrum collapsed on top of me - broke three teeth that time too as well as dislocating my shoulder). Several toes, I'm clumsy and drop things on them or kick immovable objects. My thumb, also playing cricket (broken fingers are an occupational hazard when you're the wicket keeper). Most recently a rib when I fell off a ladder.
      February 7, 2018 5:35 PM MST

Lots of injures.
    Did your nose heal straight?
    Rugby looks like a very extreme sport. This post was edited by Summer at February 7, 2018 9:46 PM MST
      February 7, 2018 9:26 PM MST

There's a bit of a bump in the middle. Not terribly noticeable.

Rugby is a tough sport - envisage NFL without pads and helmets. I really shouldn't have played it, being a little guy.
      February 7, 2018 9:29 PM MST

I've watched a little rugby on TV and I remember thinking that rugby players are really tough. I couldn't believe how much contact there is with no pads.
      February 7, 2018 9:32 PM MST

Not yet, but I'll let you know if I do.
      February 7, 2018 7:46 PM MST

Maybe a toe.  It was pretty crooked for a while, but I can't be sure it was broken.  So, no.
      February 7, 2018 8:46 PM MST

Nope, not a one. 
    ~
      February 7, 2018 8:51 PM MST

• I was 15 yrs old. After a dressage camp, my horse was on the loading ramp but refusing enter the truck for the trip home. A woman we didn't know claimed she could get the horse on. When her whip landed on the horse's rump, he reared up and jumped off the ramp. His hind foot was the first to land, and it landed on my foot with the whole of his 450 kilos or roughly 993 lbs - broke the five metatarsals.

55 yrs, bucked off a horse - broke four ribs and one of them punctured a lung - four days in hospital.

61 yrs, 6 wks ago - training a horse, made a mistake, minor fractures to two ribs and three metatarsals, and concussed.

February 8, 2018 12:54 AM MST

Those are some major injuries.
    I never knew horses could be so dangerous. 
    You must really love what you do.
      February 8, 2018 12:10 PM MST

• Yes, for those of us who are into horses, they are usually addictive in all senses of the word.
    It's hard to imagine how wonderful it is to be in communion with a horse.
    They can be dangerous, far less so if you're experienced and know what you're doing, but even the best horse handlers and riders can still make mistakes and have accidents.
      February 9, 2018 3:43 AM MST

• Nope. Never broken any bones and all my original organs are there too :)
      February 8, 2018 1:24 AM MST

There are two that are most noticeable to others.  My collarbone and my right middle finger.  There are others that you can't see and have been broken.
    My right middle finger I drastically crushed and broke while being really stupid and drunk at a party in Boulder Colorado.
    My collarbone I tragically broke in a motorcycle accident back in 1988. I also cracked 5 ribs and broke one rib in that same accident.
    I had my right big toe broken by a horse stepping on it
    I re-broke that same toe a year later slipping on ice.
    My head has been split once in that same motorcycle accident back in 1988 and once again on the same side in 1995.  A different spot but same side.
    I broke my my right pinky finger while falling down and jabbing it into the pavement about 3 years ago.  I slipped on our very steep hill trying to get up in the mud. 
    And last but not least, I broke my left little toe last Christmas in our hotel room, kicking the chair in the dark. 

February 8, 2018 12:15 PM MST

Dang, Merle!

~

February 9, 2018 5:46 AM MST

Wow! That motorcycle accident must have been pretty bad.
    I'm glad that you survived.
    Thank you for sharing.
      February 9, 2018 9:12 AM MST