Active Now

Shuhak
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Do you still answer your phone, even if you don't recognize the phone number?

Do you still answer your phone, even if you don't recognize the phone number?

Sorry, but I won't answer any number that lacks a caller ID.  Sometimes I will have someone say to me, "You never pick up your phone!"  I will say, "did you leave me a message?", which usually gets answered with, "Um....no."

If you don't leave a message, how the heck am I going to know who you are or what you want?  I do return any message I get.  There are too many spam callers out there for me to answer a number I don't recognize.

Posted - February 12, 2018

Responses

I don't answer calls if I don't recognize the name/number.  Mobile phones only deliver number and now scammers can manipulate the CID number information.  That's  called spoofing.  On my house phone I've started sometimes picking up and saying nothing.  Eventually someone will start saying, even screaming 'hello.'  I then hang up.    I usually just let the machine answer and unless I hear a voice I recognize I don't pick up.
      February 12, 2018 3:16 PM MST

It used to be a number that LOOKED like an obvious spam call by the strange area code.  But yes, I understand they are able to make their calls look like a local number.  I have to believe if it's important enough, they would leave a message.
      February 12, 2018 3:28 PM MST

I will go you one better. I never answer the phone period.

You want me, text me.

February 12, 2018 3:52 PM MST

I never take my phone with me when I go run my errands.  Sorry, but I can't stand trying to find a buzzing object in my pocketbook as I am trying to food shop..  
      February 12, 2018 3:58 PM MST

i dont have caller id so i dont have much choice
      February 12, 2018 3:57 PM MST

Even before I had caller ID, I didn't answer most of the time without getting a message first unless I was expecting a call at a certain time.
      February 12, 2018 3:59 PM MST

I answer every call on my business phone. But as spammers call I save them to my phone contacts as junk and I save the ring tone to no ring...so they never get an answer again. 
    Personal numbers no answer unless I know the number.
      February 12, 2018 5:00 PM MST

Very impressive.  I need to get to know my phone that well.  I just force people to text me and probably miss tons of important life-changing messages.  But I just cannot deal with that phone part.  Text me and I answer right away.  As you know, it is easy for me to write. 
      February 12, 2018 5:05 PM MST

Just save them to your contacts....as junk or no answer. Even if you don' change the ringtone, the ID will show you it is a spammer. 
    But yes text is much faster.
      February 12, 2018 5:21 PM MST

Most spammers are on to that. They call from a new number each time. I only bother saving the ones that are repeat offenders. My phone has a blocked caller feature and I have run out of room there, so I like your method of saving them to contacts with the no ring. Great solution!
      February 13, 2018 3:08 AM MST

This is true Jane.  My block list is a mile long.
      February 13, 2018 9:27 AM MST

I do the same.  The moment I am sure this is nothing but spam or sales, it goes to a block list.  Of course they try and get around it by calling from another number.
      February 13, 2018 9:47 AM MST

• nope. I don’t answer numbers I don’t know. I won’t answer any calls unless I’m expecting it (unless it comes up as a contact). If it’s important they can email me or text me. Phone calls give me anxiety. 
      February 12, 2018 6:18 PM MST

Phone calls give me anxiety too!  I don't know what it is.  Maybe it's going through a few things in life where phone calls were indeed bad news.  I dunno.  I just have a very negative reaction to a ringing or buzzing phone around me.
      February 13, 2018 9:39 AM MST

No, I don't---Heck sometimes I don't even pick it up when I know who is calling...

I maintain the right to set boundaries and avoid being constantly available.
      February 12, 2018 7:08 PM MST

Same here!!  I tell my adult kids that I have a life too and if I am not readily available, leave a message.  I really don't understand why people think you should answer a cell phone so quickly, just because it may be in your possession.
      February 13, 2018 9:41 AM MST

I always answer my phone.  My landline doesn't have caller ID so I ain't screen calls unless I let it go to the answering machine which I don't bother doing.  My cell phone is usually off and not many people have the number, so that's not an issue.
      February 12, 2018 7:16 PM MST

You are a brave woman...or maybe a patient one.  I am so spoiled with caller ID.  
      February 13, 2018 9:33 AM MST

I've had an unlisted number ever since I took my first apartment, so I'm not on a lot of call lists.  Many times, the robo cllers won't leave a message on my machine, so my phone rarely rings.

February 13, 2018 9:46 AM MST

Yes because we have a land line phone that does not have caller ID. But mostly what we receive on it are just sales calls and requests for financial aid.  So often we don't answer it at all.  But mostly we do.  
      February 12, 2018 8:03 PM MST

My landline has been turned into a fax line to our printing machine.  We never get anything but sales calls on that.  
      February 13, 2018 9:46 AM MST

• In Australia, landline phone numbers are not automatically available just by name: you must know the address to be able to find it.
    We pay $30 p.a. extra to have a silent number so when the phone rings we know it's someone we know.
    The best part about it is not having to repel market researchers.
    And all mobile phone numbers are private. No one has another's number unless it's given. It's considered a major faux pas to give someone else's.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 13, 2018 9:32 AM MST
      February 12, 2018 8:59 PM MST

Cell phones used to be really safe from sales calls because our numbers are unlisted too.  But I think these robo calls just goes down a numerical list to dial out.  
      February 13, 2018 10:10 AM MST

Sometimes, if you count staying silent till they've identified themselves as an answer. 
      February 13, 2018 10:01 AM MST